Album geotagging : Option gone in PS6

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
DomZ
I'm New!
I'm New!

Album geotagging : Option gone in PS6

Postby DomZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

I could add a geo tag in PS5 and it was working fine ...
Since I've moved on PS6, I can't find the option anymore the option has been removed ... (at least I didn't fint it, tell me if I'm wrong).

It's really not a good idea to remove a feature ...
Please add it again or help me to fint it again in the PS6 interface.

Thanks
alcyone7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Album geotagging : Option gone in PS6

Postby alcyone7 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm

For a single image - open the image then click on the ( Add ) option next to where it says Location Tag - in the panel shown on the right-hand side of the image (its the first option in the tag section - directly below the image name and description).

For a whole album (generic tagging) - you can't in PS6.
DomZ
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DomZ » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 pm

alcyone7 wrote:For a single image - open the image then click on the ( Add ) option next to where it says Location Tag - in the panel shown on the right-hand side of the image (its the first option in the tag section - directly below the image name and description).

For a whole album (generic tagging) - you can't in PS6.

This is exactly what I said in my previous post, thanks to confirm, but at least this feature (that you called generic tagging) was existing in PS5 ... So this is a regression.
Skebo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Skebo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:11 am

I for one vote for bringing the album geotagging back in PS6. I think there should be a configurable default geolocation, which can be over-ridden at the album level, which can be over-ridden at the photo level. Then there should be an option to utilize or ignore the GPS location from EXIM data.
PackElend
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PackElend » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Finally I've some time to test and commission my photo station.

What I found that the Photo Station is ignoring the EXIF GPS Tags completely.
I can say that people tags are set in the Microsoft XMP schema, details see exiv2 or http://search.cpan.org).

In addition GPS location are stored in EXIF GPS tags whereof the Composite Tags are derived from, if set in the Photo Station according What metadata standards does Photo Station support? - Note 1.

GPS tags are read properly by
but people tags seemed to be read by all but only shown by Jeffrey's Image Metadata Viewer. On top of that it recognizes only the first people tag if you have more than one person tag in a photo.

The only remaining problem is, that the Photo Station doesn't read the XMP photoshop Tags what contain location information. Instead it fills its own database with location tags. Only these tags can be used as location filter for smart albums, unlike people tags :evil:.
So that gets me to the question how can I bulk copy exif location into the Photo Station location tags database?
HardyK
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby HardyK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 pm

PackElend wrote:What I found that the Photo Station is ignoring the EXIF GPS Tags completely.

I don't see that problem. Photo Station seems to use EXIF GPS by default. I also add GPS to scanned photos using digiKam and Photo Station reads them fine.

PackElend wrote:but people tags seemed to be read by all but only shown by Jeffrey's Image Metadata Viewer

I don't see the problem when I use digiKam. Multiple faces tagged in digiKam and I can see multiple people tagged in Photo Station.

PackElend wrote:So that gets me to the question how can I bulk copy exif location into the Photo Station location tags database?

I don't think you can do that but you can bulk write EXIF GPS coordinates to images when you apply Location tags in Photo Station.
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center
PackElend
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PackElend » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 pm

HardyK wrote:
PackElend wrote:What I found that the Photo Station is ignoring the EXIF GPS Tags completely.

I don't see that problem. Photo Station seems to use EXIF GPS by default. I also add GPS to scanned photos using digiKam and Photo Station reads them fine.

I haven't expressed myself clearly enough. Photo Station reads the EXIF GPS but doesn't use them for the location tags, what are stored in Photo Station own database. Would be nice if at least the country is derived from the EXIF GPS.

HardyK wrote:
PackElend wrote:but people tags seemed to be read by all but only shown by Jeffrey's Image Metadata Viewer

I don't see the problem when I use digiKam. Multiple faces tagged in digiKam and I can see multiple people tagged in Photo Station.

I don't have digiKam all what I can say is that those online EXIF checkers don't recognize all people tags correctly. If digiKam does anything is fine.

HardyK wrote:
PackElend wrote:So that gets me to the question how can I bulk copy exif location into the Photo Station location tags database?

I don't think you can do that but you can bulk write EXIF GPS coordinates to images when you apply Location tags in Photo Station.

I want to modify the already stored EXIF GPS. I would like to set Location Tag across multiple folder/albums but the only solution I know is to use XN View, digiKam etc. tag all to set photos with a dummy tag and create a dummy tag, create a dummy tag based smart album, set location tag.

But there is some hope, a user in the German Synology forum may uploads a unfinished script to github what access the Photo Station database. It would still need someone who finalise it.

Return to “Photo Station”