Help me find the best way to save all my photos

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
gren
I'm New!
I'm New!

Help me find the best way to save all my photos

Unread post by gren » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey!

I'm getting my DS1515+ set up finally and have opted to go with Photo Station rather than the new Drive. I've spent many hours reading about multiple topics, apps, features etc, but have some questions left that I hope you guys can help me answer.

Description of what I need to send to the NAS:
a) photos and videos from phones (new files created very often)
b) photos and videos from laptops (a pretty static set of files and folder, mostly just all photos taken so far, will not be updated to often)
c) various other files from laptops (new files created/updated quite often)

Questions:
1. When using Photo Station and DS photo, all photos and videos are uploaded to the photos folder from let's say a phone. If by any reason a photo file would get corrupt, will the original file sent to the photos folder still remain as the original photo and not get overwritten by the corrupted file with the same name? I have the setting "if file has the same name" option in Photo Station set to "rename". Is that enough? For the Cloud Station Server there is an option to keep like 32 versions of the same file.
Reason: my phone's microSD card once got the photos corrupted and the backup sync back then recognized it as an updated version of the current photo and replaced the original fully functioning photo file with the corrupt file.

2. The best setup for getting all current files to the NAS would be to:
a) use DS photo app to backup all photos from phones to Photo Station
b) use Photo Station Uploader on the PC to send all current photos and videos from laptops to NAS. This seems to be a manual process as I understand, so we can simply just right click on a new folder on each laptop and upload that if it were to be added.
c) use Cloud Station Backup to simply backup specific folders with various other files to the NAS.

a) and b) would send all photos and videos to separate folders per uploading source in the photo folder. Then add Smart Albums to compile photos from all individual folders.

3. Backup to remote location.
When backing up all photos to S3 Glacier, it's possible to add the photo folder with all subfolders as a part to include in the backup of I suppose? Just double checking that this is possible (don't see any reason to why it wouldn't..)

4. As a question to everything above, to ensure that versioning on photos work that's uploaded to the NAS. Would it be better to use DS File for the phones and Cloud Station Backup for the laptops to send all files to specific folders on the NAS. Then simply add everything to the Photo Station after that?

Overall feedback, very good forum and dialog going on, keep it going! :)

Thanks in advance!

/Gren

gren
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Help me find the best way to save all my photos

Unread post by gren » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 am

Upping this, hopefully someone can add some valuable input.
Thanks!

franklinfung
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Help me find the best way to save all my photos

Unread post by franklinfung » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:10 am

Hi Gren,

I try to share my comment as below :

1. "When using Photo Station and DS photo, all photos and videos are uploaded to the photos folder from let's say a phone." Using Photo Station and DSPhoto is a one-time upload to Diskstation but not Sync, thus a corrupted photo inside your phone should be contaminate the copy inside PhotoStation.

2. "The best setup for getting all current files to the NAS", I tried uploading / copying my own family photo albums (a PC folder with different folders by date or event) into the \Photo folder of Diskstation, let PhotoStation to index them (which takes quite some time, depending on the CPU of your Diskstation). To speed up, someone suggest of using PHotoStation PC Uploader, which I found still taking long time to upload, and I prefer copying files from PC to NAS, and let my DS214Play to create all index and thumbnail, this works more efficient in my case.

3. "Backup to remote location." There are plenty of ways, S3, or something else. For myself, I make use of Google Photo, and Sync from my PC using google apps.

4. "As a question to everything above, to ensure that versioning on photos work that's uploaded to the NAS" I am not sure I understand well the question. For my case, as far as I see the photo (thumbnail) on PhotoStation, i believe the transfer is completed and good.

Hope this can help.
DS918+ with 2x256GB SSD Cache + effective 24TB ; DS214Play 2x2TB; DS1511+ Effective 12TB

Return to “Photo Station”