Face recognition not working

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Zotteke
I'm New!
I'm New!

Face recognition not working

Unread post by Zotteke » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:38 pm

So i got my synology diskstation for a while now and uploaded a lot of photo's to the photo album on the server.
I want to make use of the face recognition and tags for the photo's, so i enabled this option and let it run to find people in the already uploaded photo's. This took for ages and didn't do anything.
Because it where a lot of photo's (almost 10gb), i downloaded all back to my pc again, restarted (and updated) the server and uploaded a small folder with photo's (19mb) via the photo station. No message came up about face recognition / tags. In the options menu, i clicked on 'Find people for all photos' and it started searching. It took a while and then it stopped. No new message or anything popped up to let me know it was finished, or add names to the faces. Nothing has happened to the photo's i uploaded. No tags, no face recognitions or edits in the data of the photo.

Tried googling and this forum, but didn't came far.

How can i solve this and how do i use the face recognition? Am i missing something?

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: Face recognition not working

Unread post by HardyK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I haven't used the Photo Station face recognition and I don't recall reading many positive posts about it.

My advice is switch off face recognition in Photo Station and use digiKam to manage the face tags. Photo Station will display faces tagged by digiKam.
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

Zotteke
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zotteke » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:19 pm

HardyK wrote:I haven't used the Photo Station face recognition and I don't recall reading many positive posts about it.

My advice is switch off face recognition in Photo Station and use digiKam to manage the face tags. Photo Station will display faces tagged by digiKam.
Thank you! I will have a look at digiKam.

larabelle2
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by larabelle2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Adobe Bridge is another option. Great for bulk tagging a selection of images at once. People tags end up being General tags but that doesn't matter to me.

oliver1982
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by oliver1982 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:28 am

For my understanding the face recognition of PhotoStation 6 does nothing more then recognzie that there is a face. That's all. After that you have to click through every single photo an tell PhotoStation the name of the person.
I did that for 4 albums. After that I decided to spend my time for more usefull things. Maybe that's the reason why the face recognition in PhotoStation is in status "experimental".
DS216j | DS218+

Return to “Photo Station”