Setting up best practice for Photos

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Nightwish76
Trainee
Trainee

Setting up best practice for Photos

Unread post by Nightwish76 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi all!
I am new user in this forum!
Maybe i should have posted this elsewhere, (feel free to move my post)

Wish you all continued Happy Holidays

I would like to know how to set up best practice for using, syncing my photos.

I just bought a DS281play in order to get a grip on my photos.

I am currently using both iCloud photo backup and also Google photos.
This since i have both Apple products (Macbook Pro, iPads, and also Android phones, and other things, (Nvidia Shield, PS4 etc)

Before purchase i read that i could synk to the NAS and also have my Apple Photo Library on the NAS.

I am a bit uncertain on what path to choose now as my initial plan failed (read full story further down or just give me info on what to do if you do not want to read whole story)

Wishlist:
Backup photos automatically from my Iphone, Android phone, and DRSL camera (uploade via Macbook) and have them available anywhere, (like in google Photos, Icloud)

Still have that new photos will sync to my iCloud library for offsite backup.

How i though i would be:
I thought if i move my photos library from my local Macbook drive to the NAS I would be able to have that library as my system library and enable Icloud, on that and have the Pictures app to have all original copies downloaded. That way i would always have new photos on the NAS drive.
Well that did not work.
Got as far as to have everything copied, changed library (waited for partial photos to be deleted as i hade optimized storage on my macbook)
Then i wanted to enable iCloud, well, got an error message saying that this cant be done on a Network attached storage, must be local. :(
Argh…
:oops: :cry:
Just now my head is empty of ideas. As i have no experience of DS photos. Is there a simple setup to have it according to my wishlist som other way?
As far as i have been reading on the internet DS photo can automatically back up photo from different devices, but how to get them to iCloud photos library?

Please help me in choosing path on how to continue? Want to be able to edit my pics anywhere, ipad, Phones etc.
Shoud i skip iCloud photos completely? Want to have offisite backup as well,
Chees,
Thanks for all the help.

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: Setting up best practice for Photos

Unread post by HardyK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 am

Nightwish76 wrote: Wishlist:
Backup photos automatically from my Iphone, Android phone, and DRSL camera (uploade via Macbook) and have them available anywhere, (like in google Photos, Icloud)
I use DSPhoto on my Andriod phone to automatically backup up camera images to my NAS 'photo' share. I can then view the photos anywhere using Photo Station or DSPhoto.
Nightwish76 wrote: Still have that new photos will sync to my iCloud library for offsite backup.
I use HyperBackup to archive my photos to Google Drive for offsite backup.
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

Nightwish76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Nightwish76 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Allright, done som research also, i am jut downloading all my photos from iCloud to an externa drive on my mac.
How to get these photos into the DSPhoto?

Can i just copy the entire Apple Photos library, will it be able to read that container? or do i need somehow to export all files from Apple Photos app?

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by HardyK » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am

DS Photo is the smart phone app. Photo Station is the application resident on the NAS that is accessible by browser or DS Photo.

Install Photo Station Uploader for MAC and point it at your external drive. It can take a long time if you have thousands of photos.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... tion/photo
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

Nightwish76
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Nightwish76 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 am

HardyK wrote:DS Photo is the smart phone app. Photo Station is the application resident on the NAS that is accessible by browser or DS Photo.

Install Photo Station Uploader for MAC and point it at your external drive. It can take a long time if you have thousands of photos.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... tion/photo
Thanks for your reply.One more thing, Im not sure if you are familiar with MacOS, the Pictures in OSx look lie a single file, its basically a container. Can i point photouploader to that container or do i need to export the pictures from the Photos App?
Basically it looks like this, (not my library)

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-conte ... ot-002.png

icanic
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by icanic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Greetings ppl!!
Did someone solved the problem with migrating mac photos to Synology DS Photo Station?
I would like somwhow to migrate whole photo library from mac photos to Synology DS Photo Station and to keep albums sorted like they are in photos on mac?

Thank you!

Return to “Photo Station”