Timeline on Date Created

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
gs92274
I'm New!
I'm New!

Timeline on Date Created

Unread post by gs92274 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I have been using DS Photo to instantly upload photos from my iPhone to PhotoStation 6. When I view the photos (either on Photostation or DSphoto) and sort on 'Date Taken' some appear to be missing. If I view them and sort on 'Date Created' then they magically appear. I noticed that all the 'missing photos' were ones that had been placed on the camera roll by Whatsapp rather than photos I had taken with the phone camera. I guess that Whatsapp is not setting up the 'Date Taken' correctly. I can live with the fact that I need to sort on 'Date Created'. However, if I switch to Timeline view then there is no option to use 'Date Created' so my photos disappear again. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this. Uploading is a continuous process so manual or batch editing of photo properties does not help. Being able to do a Timeline view on Date Created would be a useful option.
Thanks

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: Timeline on Date Created

Unread post by HardyK » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Yes I see the problem. There is no metadata in WhatsApp images whatsoever, at least not in my phone. Photo Station must default to the file system modified date to sort them.

Assuming you can't to Date Created timelines in PS, I think you have no option but to post-process your WhatsApp images and add the metadata of each image with the file system modified date assuming the latter is correct. You can automate this by running Exiftool from your Mac/PC on the problem images.

- Isolate or identify your WhatsApp images by file filter once uploaded to Photo Station. E.g. IMG-????????-WA????.jpg
- Make backups of your target images.
- Run the following exiftool command:

Code: Select all

exiftool "-AllDates<FileModifyDate" IMG-????????-WA????.jpg
All your exisitng WhatsApp images should fall in line.
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

gs92274
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gs92274 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Whilst I understand that using a tool to modify the Whatsapp metadata would give a 'one off' fix, I think it is missing the point. Using the DSphoto continuous upload means that you would continually need to do a complex manual task with a tool when I just want it to work seamlessly. Devices like iPhones are designed to require very little in the way of IT skills and DSphoto should be aligned with that approach...or else people will just not use it e.g. my wife doesn't trust DSphoto upload as some of her pictures 'disappear' even though I can show that they are actually on the DS server. If I look at the iPhone camera roll it sorts all of my pictures in date order without apparently caring whether the photo came from the camera app or whatsapp or others. If I look in PhotoStation, it has the time data it requires both in the filename and also the 'date created' field. Therefore I don't really understand why the DSphoto/Photostation app will not allow the creation of a Timeline using this data - the option to use 'filename' or 'date created' appears to be greyed out. In fact, do I really care about date taken versus date created - for me it is the same thing. I am appealing to the PhotoStation/DSphoto designers to deliver the same (simple) experience that we have on the iPhone.
Thanks for listening.

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by HardyK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Feature Suggestions can be made here:

https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

gs92274