DS Photo on 4K TVs

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
rafmib
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS Photo on 4K TVs

Unread post by rafmib » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am

I'm trying to see my Photos from a DS415 on my new LG OLED 55B7V TV.

It works but photo quality is very poor, looking like 720p or 1080P, not cripst as it should be.
There's seems to be a limitation on DS Photo / Photo Station when displaying on 4K screens.
Anyone can confirm?

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: DS Photo on 4K TVs

Unread post by HardyK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 pm

I think you will only see thumbnail quality not the original quality in this situation.

Do yo have High Quality selected in Control Panel -> Indexing Service -> Media Indexing -> Thumbnail Settings.
DS216j

Feature Suggestion: https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Tech Support: DSM Main menu -> Support Center

rafmib
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rafmib » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Yes it's marked "High Quality"

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by HardyK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm

The biggest thumbnail you will see will be maximum 1280 pixels height or width. I guess that doesn't look so good on a 4K TV.

I suppose you could mess around with the thumbnail generator settings such that the SYNOPHOTO:THUMB_XL.jpg is a much higher quality.

http://www.munky.net/hardware/controlli ... humbnails/
DS216j

rafmib
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rafmib » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 pm

But when you see a photo full screen on the TV.. it's the thumbnail or the original photo ?

HardyK
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by HardyK » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm

rafmib wrote:But when you see a photo full screen on the TV.. it's the thumbnail or the original photo ?
I think you only ever see the thumbnails, certainly when you use a browser. You only get the originals when you download. The rationale being that the originals could be upwards of 10Mb so it makes any browsing experience through the Internet too slow if it showed you the originals as a slide show.

I guess you're using a media app built into the TV and then just searching for your NAS device? Can you try using an XBOX or PS4 etc. to see if the results are any different? Perhaps try using Plex or similar.
DS216j

gensplejs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gensplejs » Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi.
I am having the same problem with my Sony xd9305 4k android tv.
The DS photo app is really fast but only shows the thumbnail image and even with the indexing service set to the highest settings it just looks abysmal.
Details are heavely pixelated so i would guess it is showing in 720p or maybe 1080p or something like that.
Im not really a big plex fan thees days and kodi for android is really really slow when showing photos and also has some resolution issues using the full 4k rez.

The only application that seems to be able to display images in 4k and stay even remotely responsive on my TV is the built in sony album app. The album can unfortunately not access smb shares but it can access the synology nas via DLNA. (so you need the media server package installed)

Thorfinn
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Thorfinn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:55 pm

I works fine here.

Remember to let the TV software read to your image file - and not the thumbnail only.
There are several ways to connect your TV to the NAS.
smb share, afs , dlna, bonjour, html...

sorry but there is no shortcut - you have to use the long way reading the softwaremanual of the photo client application your LG TV.
What connection protocol does the client software on the LG TV support?
Which one is supported the most comfortable way?
Activate it on the NAS. Watch and enjoy.

I skipped "smart-TV" software apps, specially the UI is often not very intuitive. We just skipped that part. I use DS Photo on my smartphone and cast the content to the big screen. More modern phones with modern media cast software (like AirPlay 2, recent Chromecast versions) will cast the file from the phone to the big screen, recognising the screenresolution of the big screen.

Return to “Photo Station”