SHR to support 2 drive failure question

An update to DSM3.1 providing multiple volumes on a single Raid, dual disks redundancy in SHR, shared folder synchronization, and other updates
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
depam
Novice
Novice

SHR to support 2 drive failure question

Unread post by depam » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Does anyone tried installing 3.1 on a fresh install? I have DS410 and have just upgraded to 3.1. I am interested to know whether the two drive failure in SHR is like Drobo's BeyondRaid implementation. Can you toggle between one drive failure to two drive failure instantly without affecting data? I understand that in Drobo, you can toggle to two drive failure protection and when you need more space, toggle to one drive failure protection. This is one of the good thing Drobo has done and hope Synology will be able to implement this as well.

hypertonik
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: SHR to support 2 drive failure question

Unread post by hypertonik » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

No, SHR cannot go from dual-disk fault tolerance to single-disk.

sespy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by sespy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Also know that you cannot go back, either. You cannot "add" dual-disk tolerance (2DT) to a single-disk tolerance (1DT) volume like on the Drobo.

I share your pain. I have both a 1511 and a Drobo fs. The Drobo is slower and lacks some of the bells and whistles that the Synology units have (all the servers-- audio/photo/mail etc. etc., web based file admin, the perks list is long) but the Drobo flexibility is far greater than is acknowledged in these discussion forums.

I just finished swapping mail with Synology support to discover the 2DT-vs.-1DT issue. Now I have to start over with a new volume, recopy data, etc. Contrast: I switched my Drobo to 1DT, "borrowed" a 3TB drive from it for a few days, then put a 2TB disk back in it's place, it rebuilt properly, then I turned on 2DT again.

hypertonik
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by hypertonik » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am

Hmm, here a Synology guy says the opposite: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 4&p=138577. A pity if he's mistaken.

depam
Novice
Novice

Unread post by depam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Drobo is hard to beat on this scenario but I think Synology is getting better in every release. I hope they can also do this on their next firmware update. I haven't used Drobo but that is one thing I admire about it. Though, we just can't be happy with that right? We need a more robust solution like Synology. The worry is for Drobo, you really don't know how they do things so if thing breaks, that's it. For Synology, its not really proprietary but native linux RAID.

hypertonik
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by hypertonik » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 am

Synology has to fix the recent problems with network backups first, because the updates first to DSM 3.0 and then to 3.1 have caused quite an amount of significant problems for many users. But yes, after the problems are fixed the SHR should be advanced a little bit to support migration between different types.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.1 - 1594”