DS2411+ Infiniband questions - alternative to DX1211?

The general discussion room of 2011 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Dark-Sider
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS2411+ Infiniband questions - alternative to DX1211?

Unread post by Dark-Sider » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 am

Hi there,

I own a DS2411+. As the free space on my box gets quite low I checked the DX1211 expansion prices. It was shocking to see that a new 12 Bay NAS was almost as cheap as the DX1211 expansion. (~1000€)

So I was wondering what infiniband2sata chips are used within the DX1211 and if there are compatible 3rd party products on the market.

Maybe this box works? http://www.lindy.co.uk/components-tools ... port-p1326

There are also Infiniband to 4x SATA cables available. Mayba attaching a port multiplier to each of the 4 sata ports of the cable would yield another 12 drives?

bye,
Darky

Dark-Sider
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS2411+ Infiniband questions - alternative to DX1211?

Unread post by Dark-Sider » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 pm

I tried the 4x SATA cable and it works like a charm. So the marvel chip is just hard-wired to the infiniband socket.

Be aware though, that you'll need some config-file tweaking to actually be able to use the additional 4 disks as raid volume!

Next step try a port multiplier on of the sata outlets :D

Return to “2011 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”