DS211j Capacity question

The general discussion room of 2011 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
dinelli
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS211j Capacity question

Postby dinelli » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi All!

I'm on the verge of buying a DS211j, but am noticing some inconsistencies on some of the seller websites with regards to what the maximum hard disk capacity is.

One such example says "MAX 6TB" in the main product title, yet further on down the page under the technical specs section, it says storage capacity 4000GB.

As per the list of recommended/compatible hard drives in the Synology FAQ, i'm eyeing up two Western Digital WD30EZRX puppies to go in the box when it arrives, which are 3TB caviar greens that i intend to install with Raid 1, but I dont want to order them and then find out when they get here that i've spent a big pile of cash on two hard-drives that exceed the capacity of the NAS box for Raid 1.

Can anyone confirm what the official maximum capacity is for the DS211j with Raid 1?
I'd be really grateful for responses.

Many Thanks. :)

dinelli.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: DS211j Capacity question

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:44 pm

a RAID1 with 2x3 TB gives you 3 TB of storage.

Synology DS do not have a capacity limit. It is the currently available and tested HD that are limiting the size of storage.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
itsTony
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DS211j Capacity question

Postby itsTony » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks to the "Search" facility, managed to get an answer I struggled to find on Google :wink:

Return to “2011 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”