Mapping Network Drives over Internet with WebDAV

The discussion room of webDAV based solution for file sharing.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
pgafanha
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: WebDav remote access win 10

Unread post by pgafanha » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks Skoteen,

Your solution works perfectly, just like netdrive for the same issue.

I only have one "problem"... I can't see any files of my home folder, although i can see everything in the shared folders to wich i have access.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

matt8445
Trainee
Trainee

Map a network drive remotly?

Unread post by matt8445 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Sorry in advanced if this is a "newbie" question, but I am having trouble doing what I think I have found a video describing something that I should be able to do.

I have a DS214 Play. Overall very happy and it seems to work great. I have quickconnect set up. When I am connected to my network locally I have a share that I have mapped as a drive with most of my basic data that I want on there.

What I am hoping that there is a way to do is have that share mapped as a drive when I am away. I am hoping I can do this without any type of VPN or anything.

I found one video showing something similar, but I am not sure if having quick connect enabled on my DS is interfering with being able to do this?

If it helps under Control Panel - External Access - Router Configuration - I have webdavsever & webdavserver_ssl enabled. One video I found seems to make it sound like that would be important.

I don't think I need to explain why this would be useful, but obviously I don't like the idea of having to download individual files and reupload the files from my home NAS when I am somewhere else. Hoping I can just use them like an attached storage.

Saying this it sounds like cloud station may not be a terrible option for me, but I have been using dropbox for years and am hesitant to make the swap.

Matt
DS214 Play
dsm 5.1-5004
(2) WD Red 5TB drives

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Map a network drive remotly?

Unread post by german_user » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Cloud Station does work like drop box, you'd need a locally installed client software side and it does syncing, so you'd have copies of all the files on the client PC as well as on the Server. With Cloud Station, you're always working on the local copy, then it syncs it to the server.

WebDAV is what you're asking for, it allows you create a virtual mapped drive over the public internet, back to your NAS.

You could also just logon to your DSM using Quick connect and run File Station in a browser windows but that requires logging in each time and is not the same as a mapped drive of course-

matt8445
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by matt8445 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Yes I get the cloud station part of things. I just am more wondering if I want to switch everything from dropbox to cloud station, it is about 600GB or so and just a hefty data transfer more than anything.

What I really want is, like you mentioned, to use WebDAV, but I cannot seem to get it configured properly on my DS. Not sure if it is user error or what. However when I do go into the control panel and try to set up external access I notice a couple of things.

Main one is I go to control panel - external access - router configuration. I right click on webdavserer and go to test connection I get a failed every time. I go up to set up router and try running the build in router configuration for this and I get an error every time. I gives me an error at "Checking Network Environment", see the attached screen shot. It also says two or more routers found on your network etc..... I have searched the synology forum for help on this and there are a handful of unresolved topics on this. I do not actually have two routers in place. I have a cable modem. the cable line from my ISP goes in there I ran about a 75' cat 6 line from there upstairs to my router. The router sends out DHCP and I jump it into a 12 port gigabit switch. One line from the switch goes back downstairs next to the modem to another switch that connects to the Disk station and a couple of odd ball other things. Most devices are upstairs near the router. The router is upstairs to give more wifi coverage throughout the house. The router is an Asus RT-AC68P. I have clicked next on the Synology router config and searched for a router. They have the Asus RT-AC68U but not the P model, not sure that matters.

I have gone into my router to enable UPnP. I am not too familiar with setting up port forwarding manually in the router, but I imagine I can do some trouble shooting and see what I can find.

I just am most curious if we think I cannot enable WebDavServer because of the port forwarding issue that is not happening and if there is anything else that I should be doing to try to resolve this?

Matt
DS214 Play
dsm 5.1-5004
(2) WD Red 5TB drives

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Unread post by german_user » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:27 pm

thanks for the additional info- you can do the router config yourself, there are detailed instructions in the Synology Knowledgebase.

The most important thing is that you need to get QuickConnect and access over the Internet enabled before you bother trying to get WebDAV working.

You'll also have to plan for the public IP part, do you have a static IP from your ISP assigned to your modem/router?

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... ith_WebDAV

MasterOMayhem
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cannot get WebDAV working

Unread post by MasterOMayhem » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Set up HTTP on 5005 and HTTPS on 5006. Set up a new shared folder called WebDAVTest.
Opened the firewall to port forward 5005 and 5006 to the internal IP of the Synology
From a machine outside the network I go to map a network drive and says it cannot be found. Tried http://IP:5005/ and http://IP:5005/WebDAVTest with the same results. I tried it from the inside and it didn't work either.
What am I missing to get WebDAV set up?

a few questions. Which OS are you using to access? Mac Windows /app? Do you get a logon prompt?
can you logo on to http://IP:5000 or 5001 which would be the logon page.
did you port forward your router? did you give the user app permissions?

Did you go into the DSM firewall and add webdav server ? should be in security. firewall edit options and then add webdav to permit if using DSM firewall.

Sand
Beginner
Beginner

DS214play - access to shared folder over internet

Unread post by Sand » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello,
have Synology DS214play and router ASUS RT-N66U.
I created 3 shared folders and I want to access to folder 2 over internet.

How can I do that please?
Thank you very much.

Sand
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DS214play - access to shared folder over internet

Unread post by Sand » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:51 pm

UPDATE:
- created no-ip.com account and hostname
- created new user called test, give him permissions to shared_folder_2, enabled FTP.
Run EZ-Internet wizard, manually added custom FTP port to router and seems it works fine

followed this guide https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... a_FTP#t2_1

Sand
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DS214play - access to shared folder over internet

Unread post by Sand » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 pm

UPDATE: doesn't work

It asks for name and password, after login shows me error
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Bloostix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mapping Network Drives over Internet with WebDAV

Unread post by Bloostix » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Dear Synology Community

I am trying to connect the computer from my father to my Synology NAS, which is located at my flat in another city. Until now, i always used the browser access and that works fine, its just not very efficient and user friendly. so i wanted to set up a Network Drive as i have at home, just over the internet. I tried to follow this guide: How to access files on Synology NAS with WebDAV

after being confused, that i don't have a WebDAV entry, where it shows in the guide, i found out, that they moved it to a seperate package and did the necessary settings there:

and tried to use the netdrive app, which i configured as shown in the guide:

sorry for it to be in german, i'm pretty sure i chose english :/

i always get the error: "connection error"

so i checked in DSM if the permissions are correct, which looks as follows:

As i have an ubiquiti Erlite3 router, which isn't listed on synology supported routers, i forward all the ports manually and added the webDAV ports:

does anyone have a clue, why i can't map the the drives?

I appreciate any help!!!

Thanks a lot guys!

jeffalmonte89
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Mapping Network Drives over Internet with WebDAV

Unread post by jeffalmonte89 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Did you solve this issue? I am having the same exact problem and followed the same process.

cmcigas
Trainee
Trainee

Connected To Drives Without VPN

Unread post by cmcigas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey everyone currently I am having issues with my VPN and cant seem to figure it out but is there away to connect to my drives without having to be connected over VPN as in a way to still use them in the Windows 10 explorer just like a normal C drive?

Thank you

iludovico
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by iludovico » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:34 am

jeffalmonte89 wrote:Did you solve this issue? I am having the same exact problem and followed the same process.

Same issue here. And despite I have followed step by step the synology guide there is no way.

Can someone assist us in this process so we can post an official walkthrough guide?

Thanks
Synology 916+ WD Red 6tb x2. Mac Osx

MarekT
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MarekT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:34 pm

If you trying to map a Synology NAS drive over the internet with computer running Windows 10, and receive the following network error:

“ Error code 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found “

It is probably the problem with Windows authentication. It seems that computer running Windows 10 wants secure connection with SSL certificate. In other words, not through the HTTP, but trough the HTTPS.

After researching and compiling bits and pieces from different resources, I finally got it to work.
In my case changing the Windows Basic Authentication fixed the error.

This solution worked for me:

Prerequisites on NAS Station (DS216play)

1 At least one shared drive with Read/Write access
2 WebDAW server installed and running
3 DDNS provider added xxxxxxxxxxx.synology.me and status normal
4 Router Configuration done (Router ports forwarded 5000, 80, 5005, 5006). Connection test should be OK on all forwarded ports.

You should be able to access your NAS with browser, by typing: name.synology.me

On computer running Windows 10:

1. In windows search, type run and select “Run” Desktop app
2. Type regedit (Under User Account control click Yes) Registry Entry window opens
!!!!! Caution!!!!!! If you not sure or don’t want to mess with registry, STOP right here!
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters
4. In the Name Column Look for the BasicAuthLevel
5. Right click and then click Modify, change in the Value data box, to type 2
6. If BasicAuthLevel is not present, go to step 8
7. Close Registry Editor and Reboot computer
8. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
9. Type BasicAuthLevel, and then press Enter.
10. Right-click BasicAuthLevel, and then click Modify.
11. In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK.
12. Close Registry Editor and Reboot computer

Note The mapping is as follows: 
0 - Basic authentication disabled 
1 - Basic authentication enabled for SSL connections only 
2 - Basic authentication enabled for SSL and non-SSL connections

Original article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2123563

For me it works on computers running Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro

When mapping the drive point it to port 5005
http://xxxxxxxxxx.synology.me:5005

Check “Reconnect at sign-in
Check “Connect using different credentials”

Note:
When computer is restarted, you have to enter your password again to access the mapped drive.

Hope it helps!

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:16 pm

IMO it's easier to just get a Let's Encrypt cert and use HTTPS.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Return to “WebDAV”