since update to 1337 am unable to login after a few days

An update of DSM 3.0 operating system, including enhanced iPhone and Android phone support, Windows ACL integration, comprehensive iSCSI support, extended volume size capability, Surveillance Station, and a new feature of Time Backup application.
rcire
Trainee
Trainee

Re: since update to 1337 am unable to login after a few days

Postby rcire » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:58 pm

nenominal wrote:Update: I managed to solve on my side! The problem is related to the browser (in my case Chrome). I received an e-mail this morning from the technical support and I tested my NAS from a remote computer using Firefox and it worked! Then I installed Firefox on my computer again and it worked as well. So the problem is with Chrome browser 7.x version. I tested 6.x and it's OK on Windows but on Linux the problem it's still there.

Anyway...happy to see that is working and I feel a bit stupid that I haven't tried other browser till now.

That is interesting. I do also use Chrome (and did not try any other browser) on all my computers.

my ticket id is #54183
sonynair
Experienced
Experienced

Postby sonynair » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 am

I have a DS207+ and have experienced exactly the same issue since updating to 1337.

Extremely frustrating as I have to bounce the NAS and then bounce my ESX servers as the they lose NFS connection in the process.

After reboot it's fine for 4 days and then I notice via the SSH the load average goes upto 11, 12 even 20!! This is when it becomes unstable and can no longer connect.

I'm using Chrome for web admin and Putty for SSH.

Any ideas whats causing this? Or is this firmware release toilet????
fve
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fve » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:19 pm

I did upgrade to newer version but that did only delay the same effect a few days for me.

So now i did maybe a foolish thing but went back to 2.3 since i never had problems with that version. Hopefully now i can still keep it running without worrying that it won't work annymore.

So far only bad thing is that all photos need to be reindexed but that will be a small price to pay if all is working fine again :)
sonynair
Experienced
Experienced

Postby sonynair » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 am

hi fve, how did you revert to 2.3?

I may have to do the same as I have lost faith in Synology and cannot keep having downtime every 4 days as all my ESX servers need to rebooted when it does.

Many thanks
fve
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fve » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:56 am

sonynair wrote:hi fve, how did you revert to 2.3?

I may have to do the same as I have lost faith in Synology and cannot keep having downtime every 4 days as all my ESX servers need to rebooted when it does.

Many thanks

You can do it basicly 2 way patch the 2.3 update file so the manager thinks your installing a newer version but i rather keep original versionnumbers (if you also edit the update file you must update the checksums)

I did it by editing the the file version to make it think it was an older version then the 2.3 i wanted to install.

But first before you consider this do be adviced that the downgrades have been disabled for a reason it can be if your using different applications or setting it might give problems(alltough i had no problem i cann't say if its the same for you)

So if you consider to downgrade you can do the following

enable telnet
(keep in mind filenames a case sensitive)
then telnet on port 23 to your device
then as login use loginname root and your admin password.
once your logged in then type:
cd ..
cd ..
cd etc.defaults
vi VERSION
(edit the file so firmware is lower then the 1 you want to install so change all that is relevant to that)
shift+ZZ (save and exit vi)
exit
go to manager and preform an update/downgrade to your firmware

For vi the methode to change it you do basicly as follows:
vi VERSION
press "i" your now in mode so you can edit
change the things you want.
when done hit "esc" to go out the mode to edit.
if you think you did something wrong type ":q!" this will quit without saving
if you think you did everything ok hit "shift+ZZ" (basicly keep shift pressd and type zz) this will save and quit.
Best is to get yourself first familiar with vi and experient with a file on volume. your volume is located at \volume1\....
(you can see with dir command) Annyway make sure your familiar with vi editor so make a temp dir on your volume to experiment in better make a mistake there then on a important file.

i used the following changes for version:
majorversion="2"
minorversion="3"
buildphase="0"
buildnumber="1118"
builddate="2010/01/24"

I wanted to downgrade to 1157 so i used versionnumbers of a build before that.

Note: i forgot to mention after the updates was done the first reboot look to take a whole lot longer then usual(at least for me) so be patient. Also all photos and media files most likely will be reindexed so that will be timeconsuming task before that gets finished(took me about 1 day or so before all photos got reindexed and showed up properly again in photostation, i don't use audiostation or media/dlna) So responce time during the reindexing might take a bit longer then usual untill the reindexing is finished.
sonynair
Experienced
Experienced

Postby sonynair » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 pm

thnaks fve, that's very helpful. Much appreciated for the detailed information.
SynEd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SynEd » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks a lot fve for explaining how to downgrade the Synology box.

For some time now I did experience the same issues as the topic starter. Samba shares still work but after a couple of days no connection possible to the NAS management console . Photo station suffered from the same issues.

After reading this thread I did realize it must have something to do with DSM 3.x and thanks to fve I performed a successful downgrade. Frankly, I like the old interface much better anyway and never had any issues with DSM 2.x

[edit]
After a couple of days having version synology_ppc824x_207_1157 the system still runs fine and feels much faster. I'm enjoying my Synology 207 box again.

What went noticeably 'wrong' after the downgrade:
-all photo's have been reindexed which took several hours
-amount of hits per foto folder has been set to 0
-all photo station accounts were deleted
[/edit]
fve
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fve » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:32 pm

SynEd wrote:Thanks a lot fve for explaining how to downgrade the Synology box.

For some time now I did experience the same issues as the topic starter. Samba shares still work but after a couple of days no connection possible to the NAS management console . Photo station suffered from the same issues.

After reading this thread I did realize it must have something to do with DSM 3.x and thanks to fve I performed a successful downgrade. Frankly, I like the old interface much better anyway and never had any issues with DSM 2.x

[edit]
After a couple of days having version synology_ppc824x_207_1157 the system still runs fine and feels much faster. I'm enjoying my Synology 207 box again.

What went noticeably 'wrong' after the downgrade:
-all photo's have been reindexed which took several hours
-amount of hits per foto folder has been set to 0
-all photo station accounts were deleted
[/edit]

Your right the accounts in photostation got deleted yes i also had that but i use only 2 accounts so i didn't found it a real matter of concers and didn't tought it to mention yes.
Also the hitcount got resetted for me also.
Also all photos needed to be reindexed and if you just did downgrade at first the photostation doesn't even show like there is no photo at all but that was fixed after a day when reindexing was finished(reindexing time differs from the amount of photos you got and the cpu of device offcource).

Sorry for not mentioning that all.

Annyway i actually did upgrade back to 3.0 after having contact with techsupport for they asked me if i would want to do that for them so they could investigate what is actually wrong. Apperently on this error they got now more people with the same issue.

So i will let know when i got more info about it when they might have found a possible fix. and worsed case scenario is if they might not be able to find a fix i go back again to 2.3 :). Don't know how long it will take but apperently they wanted to start taking a peak monday.
gusdesigns
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gusdesigns » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 pm

fve, you've made my day!

I was as well stuck with bad performance and an instable DS207 on DSM 3.0, while the DSM 2.3 was very stable (and was online for weeks in a row).
Thanks to your explic, I'm again a happy man (on an ond fashioned system ;-)!

So far the early adoption ...

Thanks!
fve
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fve » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Well after some days the tech support did found something odd in webalizer apperently

E-mail techsupport wrote:After all these days of investigation, the technicians suspected a call trace, means the system has once ran of of memory resource, on Weblizer package. This are the messages what technicians found in HTTP rotatelogs.

Call Trace:
[c278dc70] [c00beebc] ext3_ordered_write_end+0x10c/0x13c (unreliable)
[c278dd30] [c000b578] __switch_to+0x44/0x6c
[c278dd50] [c026df48] schedule+0x198/0x314
[c278dda0] [c006e26c] pipe_wait+0x5c/0x9c
[c278dde0] [c006e9a4] pipe_read+0x1b8/0x2dc
[c278de30] [c00661f8] do_sync_read+0xb8/0x110
[c278def0] [c0066314] vfs_read+0xc4/0x164
[c278df10] [c0066678] sys_read+0x50/0x94
[c278df40] [c000403c] ret_from_syscall+0x0/0x38

It looks like EXT3 filesystem level has damaged, so I'll be working on the filesystem check right away.

If that is the cause i dunno since there had been some attempt to try to repair the filesystem but apperently the system gets interrupted due to it did run out of memory

Annyway due to all that i decided to go back to 2.3 due to the filesystem was not able to be repaired due to memory maybe in 2.3 it will be?

The techsupport and feedback was good tough i had bugged them a lot and most times did got a fast responce.

Only to bad it didn't fix my problem with 3.0 and i can hardly believe webalizer would be the cause since if that would be it i would remove it straight away but it did always work on 2.3 fine. I maybe take out later the disc and do a manual filesystem repair from a linux pc and then keep it locked on 2.3 since 3.0 did mainly give me headaches.

Annyway if webalizer might be a cause for real i would advice not to use webalizer since you will start to dislike the device with all functions not working properly.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.0 - 1334/1337”