How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
DaveB
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by DaveB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm

BarryT wrote:
DaveB wrote:In Disks window it shows Linux RAID auto. No VG1 in disks window
Hey Dave, I was never able to find a "vg1" when following this tutorial either but, ultimately, it wasn't necessary in my case. I have just posted a variant of Gondy's technique that worked for me with a two disk, RAID1 setup in a DS211j. You can check out my thread here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 60&t=62926

Good luck
Thanks Barry. your assistance is much appreciated. I will not get a chance until tomorrow to try
your advice, but I wanted to say thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

I tried many windows recovery programs. Many found data, but files were corrupted.
Hoping Linux is the way to go. I may even set my windows box to dual boot ubuntu or mint this weekend also. Had redhat many years ago.

DaveB
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by DaveB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

DaveB wrote:
BarryT wrote:
DaveB wrote:In Disks window it shows Linux RAID auto. No VG1 in disks window
Hey Dave, I was never able to find a "vg1" when following this tutorial either but, ultimately, it wasn't necessary in my case. I have just posted a variant of Gondy's technique that worked for me with a two disk, RAID1 setup in a DS211j. You can check out my thread here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 60&t=62926

Good luck





Using 12.04 Desktop I was able to start the array and mount the drive.
The drive only shows the first partition, the synology files. 1.8TB data was not shown.

Afterwards I tried connecting the drive to windows with USB. It also allows access
to the first partition using EXt2 volume manager. previously had no access to any partitions.

I still can not access the partition with the data. data recovery software finds all the data.
Unfortunately its corrupt when restoring. This is why I was hoping linux would natively see all
the ext4 partitions.

My system is setup using iscsi in windows to connect the synology disks, using NTFS in windows.

Also after having to reboot the DS211+ , the remaining disk is showing as write-protected in windows. I tried checking iscsi and running diskpart. No success. haven't made any system changes
to synology except for removing 2nd disks.

System was working well last three years until it was time to replace this one disk.
Now data is unrecoverable and remaining disk is no longer writable.

Not sure whether I should just backup remaining disk to windows and put the synology in a closet
and cut my losses. :(

lukkkas
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

Change 1 disc to 2 in raid -problem with data from old disc

Unread post by lukkkas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

I have product DS212. I have big problem now.I had inside only 1 storage. Now I buy 2 x 3 TB new storages and I instaled this and all OK. But immidiately I conect to usb my old storage , but I see in file manager only partition 1. ( I have my data on next partition , but I see not this !!! ) I have very importent data there for me . I tried give old storage back to DS212 , but he doesnt see him !! How can I see data on my old storage ? All data on my old disk wasnt encription - this isnt problem. Has SYNOLOGY DS212 some pair key for specific storage ? Thank you for help Lukas


Or how can I connect storage from DS212 to windows and see my data on him ? I try software for windows LINUX READER but when I get open this volume with data so write me that I can open !!!!!
/ e.g. situation = when died synology ds212 and I need access to this storage with my data.

DaveB
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Change 1 disc to 2 in raid -problem with data from old d

Unread post by DaveB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

lukkkas wrote:I have product DS212. I have big problem now.I had inside only 1 storage. Now I buy 2 x 3 TB new storages and I instaled this and all OK. But immidiately I conect to usb my old storage , but I see in file manager only partition 1. ( I have my data on next partition , but I see not this !!! ) I have very importent data there for me . I tried give old storage back to DS212 , but he doesnt see him !! How can I see data on my old storage ? All data on my old disk wasnt encription - this isnt problem. Has SYNOLOGY DS212 some pair key for specific storage ? Thank you for help Lukas


Or how can I connect storage from DS212 to windows and see my data on him ? I try software for windows LINUX READER but when I get open this volume with data so write me that I can open !!!!!
/ e.g. situation = when died synology ds212 and I need access to this storage with my data.

Try Ubuntu steps from this thread.
I only see 1st partition same as USB.

Tried this with disk that synology sees data.
Same results in Ubuntu , only see 1st partition.

Put same disk back in synology and see all data. Then
back in Ubuntu , only 1st partition .

I'm thinking there were some steps here missing that allow you to see anything other than 1st partition .

lukkkas
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by lukkkas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 am

But UBUNTU must be complete install , that? Because live dvd doesnt see usb storage !

DaveB
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by DaveB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 pm

lukkkas wrote:But UBUNTU must be complete install , that? Because live dvd doesnt see usb storage !
I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on sata drive,
with both synology drives connected to internal sata ports. Vg1 is running and all three volumes on both drives are found.
1st partition mounts fine. Do not see any way to access data off either 3rd partitions.

Hard to believe there's no way to recover data except for what was already backed to external disk.

lukkkas
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by lukkkas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 am

DaveB wrote:
lukkkas wrote:But UBUNTU must be complete install , that? Because live dvd doesnt see usb storage !
I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on sata drive,
with both synology drives connected to internal sata ports. Vg1 is running and all three volumes on both drives are found.
1st partition mounts fine. Do not see any way to access data off either 3rd partitions.

Hard to believe there's no way to recover data except for what was already backed to external disk.

Yes, it must be way. Because I didnt see 2nd partition = so I done that I give back old storage to synology - then I migration ( only restoring konfiguration ) - copy all data to any different storage over LAN - then I back new 2 storage to raid. .... = very stupid system and on very long time. ... I dont understand how can I read this old storage at PC too . :( :( :( :(

DaveB
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by DaveB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:54 am

lukkkas wrote:
DaveB wrote:
lukkkas wrote:But UBUNTU must be complete install , that? Because live dvd doesnt see usb storage !
I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on sata drive,
with both synology drives connected to internal sata ports. Vg1 is running and all three volumes on both drives are found.
1st partition mounts fine. Do not see any way to access data off either 3rd partitions.

Hard to believe there's no way to recover data except for what was already backed to external disk.

Yes, it must be way. Because I didnt see 2nd partition = so I done that I give back old storage to synology - then I migration ( only restoring konfiguration ) - copy all data to any different storage over LAN - then I back new 2 storage to raid. .... = very stupid system and on very long time. ... I dont understand how can I read this old storage at PC too . :( :( :( :(

Lukkkas, thanks for update.

You restored configuration for new drives.
Did not recover any user data.
I am at same stage.

After months of searching for help it
looks like its a lost cause.

Shame can not recover data from good drive.
Windows can even recover data from dead drive by replacing controller card.
Lvm offers pros, but recovering data
is not one of them.

Good luck with your rebuilt array.

mauroliska
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by mauroliska » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

hello,
just a question....
is it correct if I connect my Synology HDD to my computer via USB instead of Sata or esata??

thank you

crashnburn
Experienced
Experienced
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: How? Mount, Find & Recover DATA in HDD out of Synology B

Unread post by crashnburn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I've not had any luck using this method, but I can see the Disk attached and Ubuntu also gives me the option to format the drive. But, so far I am trying to see some way to recover the drive data.

clausfod
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 am

Reading data from my HDD. Synology motherboard broken

Unread post by clausfod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 am

Hi,

I've a broken Synology DS710+ NAS (blue light blinking on startup) My HDD's (RAID 1) are intact.

My question is now; how can I read data from the HDD's ?

I'm able to connect to the HDD's via my Raspberry Pi (Wheezy) and mount one of the HDD's but the volume1 folder is empty. Please help :-)

Best regards
Claus

Dannermax
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

HDD crash on DS207+ How to recover?

Unread post by Dannermax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello all.

I just discovered that one of my harddrives have crashed. (DSM sais not initializing) This happened right after i turned the diskstation off. When i switched it on again, it began beeping and it wont shut off, even if i press the "turn off beep" sound in DSM... WHY!!?

Anyway, i have another 2TB HDD in the Diskstation and it dosent report any problems.

My problem is that i don't have the HDD's in raid, and DSM dosent offer any rescue options. I ran the smart test (quick) and it didnt give me any errors not even if i go into smart info. I havent run the extended smart test yet, because i cant stand the beeping noise.

So what are my options here? I connected the HDD to my computer, and i could see it, but it looks like an unformatted HDD. Is there a way to recover the files from windows and format it with DSM?

What will happen to the files on the other HDD if one is formatted? I ran the HDD's as one partition i think.

Hope anyone can help me. This page didnt offer much help, when you arent running in raid:

http://www.synology.com/us/support/tuto ... ir.php#4.2

Thanks in advance.

A bit desperate plee for help.. :)
Daniel

Dannermax
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

Re: How? Mount, Find & Recover DATA in HDD out of Synology B

Unread post by Dannermax » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:07 am

I just found this thread:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 60&t=64112

Perhaps it could be useful for someone...

crashnburn
Experienced
Experienced
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by crashnburn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am

Vaako wrote:I have tried different Recovery Software and none could help me till I found this affordable
software Raise Data Recovery for Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 and now I'm so happy that I can see my files to recover :D
Vaako the method outlined here with Ubuntu did not work for me either since I also had an SHR/ JBOD and not a RAID.

Has anyone had success using this Ubunty + Software RAID + Volume Manager thing for an SHR/ JBOD set of Disks?

Can you please share what steps you took and how you connected things and used this software to recover the files?

PS: I am checking this link solution also:
Backup of a crashed disk

imloualvaro
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 am

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by imloualvaro » Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am

dd-test
Last edited by imloualvaro on Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”