How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
kimmmmk
I'm New!
I'm New!

lost partition info on SHR volume

Postby kimmmmk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 am

Hi everyone.

First of all, I apologize about my English.

Last week I try to change my Synology Hard drives.

I plugged new HDD(4T) on my 215J, there is already have old one (1T).

My plan was that. move data to new HDD and remove old HDD but I made a mistake.

I try to migration new HDD with old HDD and lost powers. :oops:

After reboot and I checked status, but there are no volumes on my old HDD.

So, I google it and try to recover but it is very hard for me.

Here is my old HDD status.

Code: Select all

#fdisk -lu /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x943bf015

Device     Boot   Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1          2048    4982527    4980480   2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2       4982528    9176831    4194304     2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3       9437184 1953511007 1944073824   927G  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5       9453280 1953318239 1943864960 926.9G fd Linux raid autodetect

I find some SHR info on google and I try to run SHR array.

#mdadm --create /dev/md5 --verbose --level=linear --raid-devices=1 --force /dev/sda5
mdadm: chunk size defaults to 64K
mdadm: /dev/sda5 appears to be part of a raid array:
    level=linear devices=1 ctime=Mon Jan  2 16:30:16 2017
Continue creating array? y
mdadm: Defaulting to version 1.2 metadata

#mdadm --detail /dev/md5
/dev/md5:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Tue Jan  3 10:32:53 2017
     Raid Level : linear
     Array Size : 971931456 (926.91 GiB 995.26 GB)
   Raid Devices : 1
  Total Devices : 1
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue Jan  3 10:32:53 2017
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 1
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

Rounding : 64K

Name : MINS:5  (local to host MINS)  [color=#FF4000]<=== it is my synology name!![/color]
           UUID : 1e690680:f3f7d7b1:3118033b:047f6f46
         Events : 0

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        5        0      active sync   /dev/sda5

But I can't mount raid volume and cant't find any logical volume.

# mdadm --detail /dev/md5
/dev/md5:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Tue Jan  3 10:32:53 2017
     Raid Level : linear
     Array Size : 971931456 (926.91 GiB 995.26 GB)
   Raid Devices : 1
  Total Devices : 1
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue Jan  3 10:32:53 2017
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 1
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

Rounding : 64K

Name : MINS:5  (local to host MINS)
           UUID : 1e690680:f3f7d7b1:3118033b:047f6f46
         Events : 0

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        5        0      active sync   /dev/sda5

root@MINS:~# vgdisplay
root@MINS:~# pvdisplay
root@MINS:~# lvdisplay

I just want mount my old volume & copy files from there.
krufr
I'm New!
I'm New!

My DS213j reinit after eletrical cut

Postby krufr » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello

First of all, I'am not very good in english.

After some eletrical cuts, my synology DS213J was unfindable on the network. With "find.synology.com", I found it but it seems that the NAS was RESET ! The webpage ask me to install the nas ! I stop because i'am afraid to lose my data.

I want to retreive my data. Then, I open the nas, put the HDs on my mac, but they're not readable :

Then, what is the solution ?

If I reinstall the NAS, my datas will lost ?

Can someone help me ?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: My DS213j reinit after eletrical cut

Postby HarryPotter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm

krufr wrote:The webpage ask me to install the nas ! I stop because i'am afraid to lose my data.

This procedure is designed not to touch your data partition.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
leonleo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology NAS - How to retrieve backup of Raid 1

Postby leonleo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:34 am

Dear forum users/Synology steam/ Pro-users,

i just got my Synology NAS and our family is quite new in using NAS, thus needing 2 simple advice,
W have set the 2 HDD as RAID 1, where one HDD auto-backup the Main HDD

(1) How do we retrieve the Backup HDD under Raid 1, if the Main HDD crashes and Fail?
How do we restore and get all the data back in HDD number 2 in this RAID 1 setting? ( we couldnt find any function that says so. seek your help)

(2) I cant seem to be able to access HDD 2, is that the case that we can only use/view 1 HDD after settings as RAID 1? How can we confirm if we are really putting the settings under RAID 1?
Under STORAGE MANAGER > VOLUME --> i see 2 HDD, and under "Raid TYPE: with data protection of 1 disk fault-tolerance

Thank you all. really appreciate it!

Model: Synology DS215j
Software Diskstation version: DSM 6.0.2
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:13 pm

There is no backup disk in a RAID. RAID has nothing to do with backup.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
datawords
I'm New!
I'm New!

How does it create a single volume with JBOD?

Postby datawords » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:22 am

So basically I've sold my ds214+ a year ago and kept my 2 4TB drives as I'm going to buy a new Synology box with more drive slots soon, but I'd like to access some of the data on the drives.

I don't exactly remember the details of how I set up my DS214+, just that it was marked as JBOD and using Traditional volume format (ext4) as one volume. I remember googling about JBOD at the time and it seemed to be the best of the worst options, e.g. if 1 of the 2 drives failed I'd only lose half my data (depending on how full they are).

So for the time being I've plugged both drives into my computer (Debian) but I'm not sure how to join the two drives so that I can access the drives.

Which is why I'm asking how Synology joins them.
e.g. do they just use mdadm and use --level=linear ?
elvindeath
I'm New!
I'm New!

Recovering Data from Drives Removed from Old Synology Server

Postby elvindeath » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 am

I tried looking for the answer to this, but didn't have much luck. Long story short: I used a DS211j for years, and several months ago it began making horrific noises and would not shut off. I had 2 2TB drives in it, and one of the disks appeared to be failing. The DS211j was not set up as a RAID - each drive was a single drive (to allow for 4TB total storage).

I set up a new DS216Play and have it up and running. I've been adding data to the drives for a week from a variety of old sources, but now I want to try to pull a few old video and photo files off the old DS211j drives. How can I access the data on those drives ? I run Windows 10 on my primary desktop, and obviously just setting the drives into my USB SATA enclosure has not worked (like it does with my old desktop hard drives). Additionally, if one of the drives was failing, what options (if any) might I have to retrieve whatever I can from the drive ?

I'd appreciate any guidance. 38 years of using a personal computer and (knock on wood) this is my first potential data loss scenario ... so haven't had to go through this drill before.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: Recovering Data from Drives Removed from Old Synology Server

Postby syno.dustin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm

elvindeath wrote:I tried looking for the answer to this, but didn't have much luck. Long story short: I used a DS211j for years, and several months ago it began making horrific noises and would not shut off. I had 2 2TB drives in it, and one of the disks appeared to be failing. The DS211j was not set up as a RAID - each drive was a single drive (to allow for 4TB total storage).

I set up a new DS216Play and have it up and running. I've been adding data to the drives for a week from a variety of old sources, but now I want to try to pull a few old video and photo files off the old DS211j drives. How can I access the data on those drives ? I run Windows 10 on my primary desktop, and obviously just setting the drives into my USB SATA enclosure has not worked (like it does with my old desktop hard drives). Additionally, if one of the drives was failing, what options (if any) might I have to retrieve whatever I can from the drive ?

I'd appreciate any guidance. 38 years of using a personal computer and (knock on wood) this is my first potential data loss scenario ... so haven't had to go through this drill before.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... using_a_PC
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
Montaberne
I'm New!
I'm New!

Accessing unmounted drives?

Postby Montaberne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Hello guys! I wonder if I made a mistake.

Ok so I'm a photographer. I need to fill drives in RAID and access them later (using only one of the drives) after storing them.
The workflow I need is this one:

-Look for a pictures in Photo Mechanic
-The software tells me it's inside Volume 2
-I go get one of the Volume 2 drives as the other one is in an other location and mount it with a USB dock or something.
-Get the pictures I need, give them to my client and store it away for an other 6 months or so

I just bought a DS216j with 2x 3TB RED drives in SHR raid and transferred a lot of my pictures on it. I never thought accessing filled drives that aren't mounted in the Synology would be a problem but now that my first 3TB array is full and need to buy two other drives, I looked for a USB dock and wonder if any of these are compatible with Synology disks system... As I read on the subject it's not something easily done.

I know I should have look for that before buying but I worry I made a mistake buying this system. Maybe I can buy a single drive Synology NAS to access my drives?

Thanks for the input!
Boxheadc
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS214se drive issues

Postby Boxheadc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:24 am

Hi All,

I have a DS214se with a single drive installed, the drive has crashed ( still under warranty) and now when it boots it wants to reinstall the system which it says will wipe the drive. I
just want to remove the data before sending the drive back under warranty. Can anyone suggest the best way to recover the data?

I also have a second unit that has done something similar ( would you believe it within days of each other, bought the drives at the same time) but would like to fix this one first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Corey
Mmore
I'm New!
I'm New!

Restore BtrFS on Ubuntu

Postby Mmore » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am

I might lose my DS2415+ shortly. Is it possible to keep using the volume under Ubuntu, using thisinstruction? It sounds like it should be possible but I am concerned about BtrFS not being mentioned at all in the help article.
gokky
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Accessing unmounted drives?

Postby gokky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 am

Montaberne wrote:...
I just bought a DS216j with 2x 3TB RED drives in SHR raid and transferred a lot of my pictures on it. I never thought accessing filled drives that aren't mounted in the Synology would be a problem but now that my first 3TB array is full and need to buy two other drives, I looked for a USB dock and wonder if any of these are compatible with Synology disks system... As I read on the subject it's not something easily done.

If I understand you correctly, you have RAID1 with 2 WD Red 3TB drives and you would like to expand it to bigger disks.

Prerequisite to this procedure is to have RAID 1 fully available and consistent. Let's name two bigger disks as DiskA and DiskB, while disks being currently in Synology are Disk1 and Disk2.

1. Use USB dock to attach DiskA to Synology and make backup of Synology to DiskA
2. Remove Disk2 and store it to safe location. Do not even touch it while process is ended.
3. Insert bigger DiskB into slot 2
4. Start rebuilding RAID1 volume
5. AFTER volume is SUCCSEFULY rebuilt (expect some 36 hours or more, depends on load of your Synology), you may proceed. Note: If you proceed before volume is successfuly rebuilt, you may loose all your data.
6. Remove Disk1 from Synology and store it to safe location. Do not even touch it while process is ended.
7. Insert bigger DiskA into slot 1
8. Start rebuilding RAID1 volume
9. After volume is successfuly rebuilt, you may use Disk1 and Disk2 as backup or for some other use.

And one BIG Warning: RAID is not intent to be used as sharing method you provided to us. To share data it is better to use USB attached disk with some sort of "making regular backups" to that USB disk.

lpG
gokky
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Restore BtrFS on Ubuntu

Postby gokky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 am

Mmore wrote:I might lose my DS2415+ shortly. Is it possible to keep using the volume under Ubuntu, using thisinstruction? It sounds like it should be possible but I am concerned about BtrFS not being mentioned at all in the help article.

In your case I would not risk and would do a backuzp to external disks before losing the DS. Even when not on BTRFS, the procedure as described here is more thought as exceptional approach when something fails and not as replacement to proper backup processes.

lpG
crashnburn
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Mounting a RAID1 drive on Linux machine

Postby crashnburn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:12 pm

datahog wrote:Does anyone have a procedure to be able to mount one drive from a Synology RAID1 array on a Linux based PC? I just want to get the data off of it.
I have tried various combinations of: mdadm --assemble but could not find anything that works.

Yes. I did it via a Ubuntu / Mint boot CD on a PC.
cws127
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM412+ - trying to recover data from unresponsive SHR disks

Postby cws127 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 am

Hi all.

Been working with Synology Support but hit a bit of a roadblock, hope forum can advise.
Had my DSM412+ (with 4 x 3TB WD RED NAS drives) in storage for 9 months while house was renovated.... tried to start it up the other day... blinking blue LED.
Got past that, but have wound up with only 2 of the 4 WD 3.0 NAS drives being responsive, and as DSM was originally on v5.1 or 5.2 when I put unit into storage so only has 1-disk recovery, I can't seem to access or recover the data within the DSM.

Support have advised me to use the Ubuntu method ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... using_a_PC ), but as its a SHR configuration they say all 4 x drives need to be connected to a desktop PC at the same time.
Just how does one go about doing this without using the NAS unit?
I have a Windows desktop PC I can utilise... but it certainly doesn't have 4 spare slots... I think it only has 2 which are in use.

Being a bit older and having never "built" a computer myself... need some advice how to get all these drives connected.

If there is an alternate way to copy the data off the drives individually (say with a Linux desktop) then I could do that at work with a Linux PC and a hard drive dock that's available to me.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Problem solved. Brought the disks to the IT dept at my work, they had an old unused machine that had multiple SATA ports, so hooked up the 4 x drives with power to that system. Used UBUNTU off a thumb drive as the OS, and managed to copy all the files to another drive. Only 3 of the 4 drives seemed to respond, but I think I got all the data back. If they hadn't done that for me I found a few 4-port drive docks online for around $110 - $180 that should've worked too. At least saved that expense by using the old machine.
Last edited by cws127 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”