How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
praxor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Recover data from OSX

Unread post by praxor » Sat May 14, 2016 9:52 am

Hi,
My NAS DS415play has crashed. I have 2 DD SHR and 1 DD Basic.
How can i recover data from it ?
I'm on OSX
I installed VMWare Ubuntu 14.04 and mdadm, lvm2 but the result
of mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay give me "no array found.."

it seems the usb dock isn't recognized
How can i mount this dd?
Thanks.

vessk0
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to restore deleted files from RAID-1

Unread post by vessk0 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 am

Hi, I have Synology DS214 with 2 disks of 4TB in RAID-1 configuration.
Accidentally I've erased around 2TB of important files (copied empty data on top of it in Windows).

Now, I've connected the disks to my PC, tried a couple of programs, but I still can't find my deleted files... :(

Can you guys help? :(

drabisan
Guru
Guru

Re: How to restore deleted files from RAID-1

Unread post by drabisan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:13 pm

"Accidentally I've erased around 2TB of important files (copied empty data on top of it in Windows)."

What exactly you did? Delete or write garbage on top?

Of you delete it, there are utilities in Linux that will help. But you need a Linux machine and some basic skills while searching on Google.
If you wrote on the volume...bad luck :-(

vessk0
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vessk0 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Hm, this was actually a more "advanced" deletion process.
I had linked my Windows 10 video, photo, music folders to their relevant network locations of my Synology disks.
However, I experienced some small issues and changed their locations (link) to the mapped locations, e.g. \\Diskstation\Photo --> W:\Photo.
It started copying files (the usual procedure of Windows) and I left my PC doing the job. When I got back I saw that Synology is practically empty...
It turned out that Windows has "replaced" all files with NOTHING... :| :o :( :( :(

Of course, after that, I shut down my DS214 and pulled out the disks. So nothing more was R/W to them, except reading in the last 2 days, trying with different software under Windows 10 to pull out the lost information from them.

Etz
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Etz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Restore from backup? :roll:
...life is random, so am I...

vessk0
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vessk0 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:56 pm

No backup?

Etz
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Etz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:16 am

vessk0 wrote:No backup?
Bad habbit...

Anyway, what I would do is, use Parted Magic Live, connected one of those disks to PC.
And would clone that data partition to somwhere.
After that would try different Linux recovery tools on that clone, this way original state of your disks would be preserved If some tool screws something up...you could always start over on a Fresh clone.
Do not try to restore data into same drive or you Are risking overwriting it, thus reducing your Chance to recover all...

Also it is bad habbit to link network drives to Windows libraries, you Are not the first person who had lost their files this way and won't be the last one. They are meant for local folders.
...life is random, so am I...

attaul
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by attaul » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:09 am

Hi guys,

I have a standalone disk with all my data (the synology system was factory reset with new drives)
The disk was using SHR, Btrfs single disk

I try all the steps and it connects the disk but only manages to copy 50mb and crashes with the error "input/output error"
after that, i cannot copy anything.

any help would be appreciated.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Reading BTRFS file system through the USB drive

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:11 am

Use any Linux distribution (live cd)
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

omohat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Is any data readable from single drive in a multidrive RAID array

Unread post by omohat » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:08 am

I have a RAID 6 array of 4x6Tb drives. I was wondering if someone were to pull a single drive out of the array and analyse it (e.g. via a USB SATA dock) would any data be readable/recoverable off just the single drive? I can't find any information online about this hence the request here.

svasc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Disk Station DS410J won't power on

Unread post by svasc » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi everybody

Unfortunately my diskstation just died on me this evening (i presume). I was browsing through some files and suddenly i was no longer able to access my files. I saw that all the lights where off on the diskstation itself. It's an older model 410j that contains 4 disks in a raid 1 configuration. My only concern (as many people will have) is to retrieve my pictures.
Is there anyway that i can recover all my files? I've googled the issue already and found some procedures but first wanted to check if anybody can help me through the official community forum.

thanks in advance for helping me out!

Despaired
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Unread post by Despaired » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:09 am

Gondy,

I'm not sure you will see this post replying to your fantastic post. You are a superstar. I followed your instructions and they worked TO THE LETTER! I'm overjoyed.

I've got full normal access to my files!
THANK YOU!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jamesds
I'm New!
I'm New!

Help - can't access DSM or Drives

Unread post by jamesds » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 am

Hi all,

I've just registered on the forums because I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have a DS212+ with DSM 6, 2 drives on RAID 1 (mirrored). Had it a few years and haven't run into any problems but a few weeks ago I suddenly got a volume error on one of the drives. Tried a few things to fix it but nothing works. However, it's got worse as I can't log into DSM. I can see it on the network with the Synology Assistant but it says the system needs installing. As I tried everything else I thought I'd give this a go but I can't event reinstall DSM as every time I get a code 38 error. I tried it with Ethernet and tried just having one of the drives in at a time but no luck.

At this point I'm not too fussed about the DiskStation, I just want to be able to recover the data on the drives. I tried putting them in an external enclosure and ran a Ubuntu Live USB but the drives don't show up.

Not sure what else to try. Is there any way to recover my data or is it gone forever?

FYI I've contacted Synology Support through the online contact form, no response so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

datahog
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mounting a RAID1 drive on Linux machine

Unread post by datahog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 am

Does anyone have a procedure to be able to mount one drive from a Synology RAID1 array on a Linux based PC? I just want to get the data off of it.
I have tried various combinations of: mdadm --assemble but could not find anything that works.

jkahn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Retrieve Files from Drive in RAID1

Unread post by jkahn » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Hello-

I am trying to retrieve files from an old drive that was in my Synology (DS212j). While I have both drives (both 500GB), only one shows a file system / partitions. I have followed the instructions https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 60&t=51393 using Ubuntu on VirtualBox. I am able to see the drive, the various partitions, and believe that the one shown with type "Linux LVM" is where my data stored, but I am unable to access. Seems that mdadm cannot find the RAID configuration (not a Linux expert).

Is it possible to retrieve using only the single disk? Is there a different way to mount? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”