rsync to non-backup directory

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
stefanx
Trainee
Trainee

rsync to non-backup directory

Postby stefanx » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Recently I bought my first Synology NAS and am currently configuring it. My idea is to create a few top-level shared folders such as
/media, /backups, /software, and /misc. Now I would like to fill the /media directory with my music and photos. For this task I could use FTP but 1) it modifies the timestamp of the transfered files and 2) I don't trust FTP to transfer 1 TB of data without transmission errors. Therefore I would like to fill my /media directory with rsync which verifies the file integrity after transmission. I discovered this instruction: http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... u&q_id=372 Unfortunately I understand it, that rsync is possible to the shared folder "NetBackup" (or another chosen name) only. Instead I would like to execute rsync on any top-level shared folder (especially /meda). How to do this?
makhaza
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: rsync to non-backup directory

Postby makhaza » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 am

I got the same question. I'd like to use rsync to keep my clients /Picture and /Music dirs in sync via the Syno. Of course, the synchronized dirs should also be used for Photo Station and Audio Station.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”