Network Backup problem

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
johnyj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Network Backup problem

Unread post by johnyj » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 am

Hi all,
I have 2 synology servers: local server DS410j (fw 2.3 1153) and backup server DS110j (fw 2.3 1153) few miles away connected to ADSL 2+ line. I was able to make initial backup and a few test backups when both DiskStations were connected to the same switch. All worked fine. Unfortunately Network backup on remote location does not work.

remote server:
network service enabled
forwarding ports 873 and 22 on router. checked via putty (port 22 successful login via admin account; port 873 shows @RSYNCD: 30.0)
forwarding port 5000 to be able to access DS Manager. checked ok
local server:
network service enabled
forwarding ports 873 and 22 on router. checked ok

After creation of a new backup (Synology to Synology with admin account) test connection is successful. When backup starts I can only see Backup status - "Backing Up" but under Info no backup status appear. The only thing what happes is full folder creation on target station and configbackup.dss copy - weird.

I tried encrypted/not encrypted backup, compressed/no compression backup, and probably all possible options but no luck. I also tried to backup just 2 small files (500kb each) but same result. The same happens even if i try to backup in opposite direction - backup initiated by remote DS.

Does anybody knows the solution to this?

vnugter
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Network Backup problem

Unread post by vnugter » Sun May 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi,

I've been struggling with the exact same problem. Here is what i've found out and tried so far. And the problems I still have.

My setup is the following
- 2x synology ds209 (latest firmware)
- 2x Asus wl500g router
- broadband internet

At first it took a while to figure out which ports to forward to your DS's static ip. I have the following ports forwarded.
- 22 : encrypted network backup
- 5000: interface
- 873: unencrypted network backup
- 80: interface

On both synology's there is a useraccount 'rsync' with a password. What you need to check are the following settings.
- user rRsync has rights (read and write) to the 'netbackup' folder
- user rsync has rights to the folder you wan't to backup. I'm not 100% this is nescary but it works for me
- firewall settings of your synology allow access to at least port 22, 5000, 1234,9997, 9998, 9999, 5000 (network backup and user interface)
- Firewall settings of your router allow for acces.

What weird thing that happens is that from synology 1 to synology 2 everything works fine with encrypted network backup and user rsync but the other way around it only works without encrypted network backup or as user admin. From synology2 to synology1 folders are created and 'test connection' works but no files are transfered

I've been trying and comparing everything and especially looking into folder read/write rights but haven't figured it out completely why it won't work.

The only info synology provides for netbackup is http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... ync_Server

The only thing I can come up with that it has to do with path lengths although that doesn't explain why the user admin can sync and the user rsync can't.

I hope i've helped you along writing down what I tried so far.

victor

johnyj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by johnyj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:54 am

Hi,

I have been in touch with Synology support and they told me to use user rsync with rights to backup folders. Using admin user for network backup has some issues in fw 2.3-1157. The last thing needed is restart both systems (maybe some rules are applied only on reboot).
From that moment everything works fine.

Jan

vnugter
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by vnugter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi,

I figured out why network backup work one way and doesn't the other way in my case. One of the synology's has DSM 2.3-1141 and the other DSM 2.3-1157. With this firmware something changed with the rsync user that causes problems in network backup.

So my setup works from synology1 with DSM 2.3-1141to synology with DSM 2.3-1157. But it doens't the other way around usering user rsync. Using user admin does work but I don't want that.

Would the solution be as easy as updating the 1141 to 1157 or will it stop working at all.

Victor

johnyj wrote:Hi,

I have been in touch with Synology support and they told me to use user rsync with rights to backup folders. Using admin user for network backup has some issues in fw 2.3-1157. The last thing needed is restart both systems (maybe some rules are applied only on reboot).

Jan

rolfvanh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rolfvanh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm experiencing problems lately as well.

DS-107+ with firmware 2.3-1139
DS-207+ with firmware 2.3-1157

There is a weekly netbackup scheduled between the 107 and 207 and vice versa for quite a while now. Ever since the 207 was updated to version 1157 the following problem occured:

Encrypted Backup task created from 207 to 107. New folders are created, files however are not transferred. 207 reports backup task as completed.
Unencrypted backup task created: same results.
Renamed old backup and started new encrypted backup: failed
New unencrypted network backup: succeeded.

New encrypted network backup from the 107 to 207 is running at the moment, so far so good.

All attempts were made with an "rsync" user account, with rights to the backup folders.

Could it be a Firmware related problem?
vnugter wrote:Hi,

I figured out why network backup work one way and doesn't the other way in my case. One of the synology's has DSM 2.3-1141 and the other DSM 2.3-1157. With this firmware something changed with the rsync user that causes problems in network backup.

So my setup works from synology1 with DSM 2.3-1141to synology with DSM 2.3-1157. But it doens't the other way around usering user rsync. Using user admin does work but I don't want that.

Would the solution be as easy as updating the 1141 to 1157 or will it stop working at all.

Victor

johnyj wrote:Hi,

Jan

changhk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by changhk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 am

Does Synology DS410 support syncronization over WAN
can one nas on HQ sync data and folder to nas at branch office, does synology sync work both way vice versa.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”