restore without synology NAS

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mjbarnard
Trainee
Trainee

restore without synology NAS

Unread post by mjbarnard » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm

I am moving from a DS1515+ to a DS3018xs and it has caused me to question my backup strategy.

Am I over reliant on having a synology NAS? I have been quite confident about my backups because my synology backs up every night to an external usb and to a qnap nas on the same network. The qnap backs up to two external usb drives which are rotated every few months. They synology backs up every night both to crashplan and C2 (just happened to have both).

So I was fairly smug about any need to restore. I have multiple backups local and external. But today while moving the data to the new NAS it occurred to me - what if the synology fails? Am I dependent on a synology device to restore? I am aware that the cloud solutions can be accessed without a synology, but I am backing up to 3 local devices on the LAN for convenience. It would obviously be quicker and easier to restore from a local device. So can I access the backups on the qnap NAS (not synology) or the two usb drives without a synology NAS? If not thats a major flaw in my strategy.

Of course I could repair or replace the synology if it completely failed. But it occurs to me that my multiple redundant backup strategy is completely dependent on having a synology NAS. If I didnt could I access any of these backups via a PC, another NAS etc?

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: restore without synology NAS

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:03 pm

If you are using HyperBackup tool then you can restore your data without the need of a syno nas just by using HyperBackup client tool (on any major platform Mac/linux/win) and restore your data on any accessible device that you have.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... p_Explorer
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

mjbarnard
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by mjbarnard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Novice
Novice

Unread post by 1045642112 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Guys,

The backup explorer tool from Synology is very nice, but on WIndows you can't mount EXT4..

I have every night Hyper Backup doing a backup IN my NAS itself. Good for file history, but for the real backups I make also backups on two of my ext HDD (EXT4 formatted, really faster than NTFS). I place them on 2 different places in the city for emergency purposes. You never know what will happen to your NAS :)

Just when my NAS is stolen, it is encrypted though, but I will lose my files anyway. But than I can get my ext. HDD (EXT4 formatted) and use Backup Explorer on my windows PC, but the problem is that Windows is not reading EXT4 formats, so the backup has to be on a NTFS formatted ext. HDD...

I was wondering if there is any way to avoid formatting ext. HDD's to NTFS to keep using EXT4 formatted ext. HDD's?
I know there are VM solutions and EXT4 drivers for Windows to read EXT4 on Windows, but within Backup Explorer ITSELF you can't read, mount or open any Virtual Mounted EXT4 drives! That concludes that you still can't "explore" your backup...

So I'm wondering if there is still a way to do that? Otherwise I will have to format my ext HDD's to NTFS.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Using a linux based OS will allow you to open ext4 and even if that linux os is a virtual one, the HDD can be passed through as a linux mounted drive, so HB Vault will not know the difference.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Novice
Novice

Unread post by 1045642112 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Okay!

So I need a Linux based OS. Could you advise me on this?
Is there any free version to run easily on my Windows PC.

I would like to try :)

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:12 pm

ubuntu

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 pm

1045642112 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm
Okay!

So I need a Linux based OS. Could you advise me on this?
Is there any free version to run easily on my Windows PC.

I would like to try :)
many linux distro have option for USB live boot so you not need install

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”