Shared Folder Sync Error after Disk Migration

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
david-en8
I'm New!
I'm New!

Folder sync after NAS replacement

Unread post by david-en8 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am

I have been successfully using folder synchronisation for a while to backup my data to a remote location, my DS413 to DS410J, but my DS413 had to be replaced as it developed a fault recently.

After putting the old drives back into my new DS413 the folder sync has stopped working and gives me the following error
The selected shared folder(s) has/have already been occupied by sync connections on the destination server. To continue please unlink these shared folders from the server.
My problem is that I can't unlink the connection as I don't have the original DS413 any more!
Plus I don't want to delete the folders on the destination DS and have to re-sync them again as it will take weeks over the internet!

Is there any way to "trick" the DS410j into using the new DS413 and keeping the existing sync folders?

dnandrews
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Folder sync after NAS replacement

Unread post by dnandrews » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi.

I was wondering how you got on with this as I am in the same situation.

I have a Shared Folder sync over the Internet between a DS412+ and DS211 and the DS211 has failed (suspected faulty motherboard). The DS211 is being replaced today with a DS213 and the HDDs will be moved across into it.

I too would like to know how/if I can continue the incremental updates between the two NAS devices without having to resync the entire folder as this would take too longer over the Internet.

My shared folder sync is a two-way sync between the two NASs (running about 30 minutes apart).

Regards
David
DS1815+ 6GB RAM (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9)
5 x 3TB RAIDS 5 HGST Deskstar HDDs
1 x 3TB HGST Hot Spare HDD
2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSDs as RAID 1 Read/Write SSD Cache

pninen
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by pninen » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:18 pm

I just hit this same problem. I changed Synology hardware. New (source) server box has same name, same contents, same settings. Sync fails with the "occupied" message.

It would appear that something on the destination stores info about the source server, and it must store something hardware specific, so when we change hardware at the source it then won't let the sync proceed.

I'm sorry to see nobody answered your question in 3 years time!

I'm on DSM 6.0

tung.lt
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tung.lt » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Go to Shared Folder Sync -> "Connection list" and choose "Unlink" the folders on both device

chrisarrow
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by chrisarrow » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:58 am

I am running into this same issue. I placed my drives into a replacement DS1815+ chassis. Now my Shared Folder Sync task is saying:

"The selected shared folder(s) has/have already been occupied by other sync connections on the destination server. To continue, please unlink these shared folders from the server."

If I unlink these folders will they need to do a full rsync or will they pick up where they left off and just sync the differences between my files and the backup server files? This is a remote backup server so a full sync will take quite a while.

Please advise.

Thanks,
--Chris

kevinjw
Trainee
Trainee

Shared Folder Sync Error after Disk Migration

Unread post by kevinjw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

My 1515+ died and I've migrated the disks to a 1517+. Everything is working except a Shared Folder Sync task which syncs folders from the 1515+/1517+ to a 1513+. The error message I am getting for all folders in the task includes '...due to the share is already paired by other clients in server.'.

I'm guessing the target folders are linked to the 1515+ so access from the 1517+ isn't allowed.

Assuming that is the case is there any way around it other than to remove the target folders and set the sync up again?

Thanks.

Kevin

tcr
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by tcr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:06 pm

I have also just come against this error message and can't find any other threads with this error.

I have 2 servers (60tb each) one of which is a shared folder sync clone of the other.

The master server has just been replaced and other than the shared folder sync is working properly.

How do I get the sync working again?

Removing the connection for one of the connection list items has resulted in the folder being created again, rather than just updated.

I don't have the available storage to do that, and don't want to wipe the backup server (all 54tb!)

Surely there's a way to get the sync working again?

Thanks!

pHarlock
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Shared Folder Sync Error after Disk Migration

Unread post by pHarlock » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Did you find a solution that didn't require you to resync everything?
I have the same problem and the replacement box is exactly the same model so this is an oversight in the disk migration system.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Shared Folder Sync Error after Disk Migration

Unread post by HarryPotter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 pm

It is not possible to relink the share.

But there is a workaround if you dont want to resync all data.

On the destination DS create a temporary share and move already synced data to this share.
Delete the synced share
On the source DS create a new sync task
Start the task and cancel it after it has synced a couple of MB.
Move content of temporary share back to the folder you are syncing to.
Continue the sync task.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”