Deleted Shared folder by mistake - need to restore ext4 DSM 6.2

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
its
Novice
Novice

Deleted Shared folder by mistake - need to restore ext4 DSM 6.2

Postby its » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Hey Guys

Grave mistake.. deleted the wrong shared folder from a ext4 disk (Stand alone JBOD)

Any tips on recovery.. Have been trying extundelete on a ubuntu vm.. but i think I am running into mount issues.. Once disk is connected it is seen in /dev/sdb but I think I need to mount it via mdadm but probably doing wrong commands

Any tips.. Have a windows box as well.. happy to try anything and everything.. Read photorec restores gibbrish filenames which will be impossible for me.. 800GB of data :(

Please help... Have a DS918+ in SHR1 but this disk was not a part of the SHR yet.. was from old NAS which was in JBOD config..
OLD: DS211j + 2 x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003 - JBOD Individual Volume Setup
OLD: DS214play + 2 x 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX - JBOD Individual Volume Setup
CURRENT: DS918+ + 4 x 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX - SHR1

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”