DS412+ 4-disk RAID5. What should I be backing up?

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Chahk
Trainee
Trainee

DS412+ 4-disk RAID5. What should I be backing up?

Unread post by Chahk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Along with the DS412+, I also have an old DS409+ which I use as a target for Hyper Backup to back up important Shared folders, and any applications it lists. However it doesn't list all of the installed applications, specifically all 3rd-party packages are missing.

I assume I have to somehow back them up (and their settings) manually. This makes me wonder what else HB is not backing up. My goal is making sure I can restore the exact state of my DS412+ after a complete volume crash that requires re-creating one from scratch.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
DS412+ DSM 5.1-4977 (beta)
DS409+ DSM 4.2

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”