Raid 1 vs Nightly Clone

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
MattBurnes
I'm New!
I'm New!

Raid 1 vs Nightly Clone

Unread post by MattBurnes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm

So I'm about to pick up my new and shiny 1817+ with two 10TB's :-)
The NAS will be used for Plex and documents.

Option 1: Raid 1 + Crashplan (or similar)
Option 2: No Raid and simply clone HDD1 to HDD2 every night (probably no cloud backup then -> not expecting a fire here :-))

I like Option 2 better but Im concerned about media serving performance for Plex. There might be up to three people watching
different movies while I still need to work on the file system.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)
Matt

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: Raid 1 vs Nightly Clone

Unread post by PaulS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 pm

You can't clone the DSM portion like that, so your preferred approach obviates any point to running a multi-drive NAS in terms of data security and redundancy.

MattBurnes
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MattBurnes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Okay sorry, I shouldn't have used the term "clone" -> How about a daily script (or even manual) that copies Hdd1 to Hdd2?

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm

You can't copy the DSM portion like that, so your preferred approach obviates any point to running a multi-drive NAS in terms of data security and redundancy.

nheusel
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by nheusel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:07 am

OP buys an expensive 8-bay NAS device...doesn't want to use RAID to protect the data. Face palm. :roll:

For data AVAILABILITY use RAID. With that many bays why waste money on 10TB drives? You would be better off with 3 or more smaller drives (4TB are the price sweet spot right now) in a RAID-5 configuration (plus hot spare if desired). Or double parity RAID-6 with minimum of 4 drives. Either one can be expanded on the fly in the future.

For data RECOVERABILITY take regular backups to a destination thats not on the same device. This could be an external drive, an RSYNC target or remote NAS, or public cloud storage. Preferably a combination of local and remote (Google grandfather-father-son copies).

What I described is considered industry best practice on how to ensure your data is protected. Or run your NAS like your Windows peecee...at your own risk.
Somebody here likes to be morally superior and judge others on false pretenses. Sad...

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:00 pm

There's a guy in another recent thread who wants recommendations for which DS to use as a remote backup "only." :roll:

nheusel
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by nheusel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:38 pm

PaulS wrote:There's a guy in another recent thread who wants recommendations for which DS to use as a remote backup "only." :roll:
And depending on how much data you have to protect, this might be a cheaper way to achieve hosting off-site backups than using "the cloud" when you compare the annualized costs.
Somebody here likes to be morally superior and judge others on false pretenses. Sad...

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 pm

nheusel wrote:
PaulS wrote:There's a guy in another recent thread who wants recommendations for which DS to use as a remote backup "only." :roll:
And depending on how much data you have to protect, this might be a cheaper way to achieve hosting off-site backups than using "the cloud" when you compare the annualized costs.
And waaay more expensive than alot of other ways to do it.

nheusel
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by nheusel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm

PaulS wrote:
nheusel wrote:
And waaay more expensive than alot of other ways to do it.
Like external drives and sneakernet? Like roll your own Rsync server? There's a cheaper way to do almost anything but at the cost of convenience. Inconvenient offsite backups usually don't happen.

xexebanana
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by xexebanana » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:23 pm

MattBurnes wrote:So I'm about to pick up my new and shiny 1817+ with two 10TB's :-)
The NAS will be used for Plex and documents.

Option 1: Raid 1 + Crashplan (or similar)
Option 2: No Raid and simply clone HDD1 to HDD2 every night (probably no cloud backup then -> not expecting a fire here :-))

I like Option 2 better but Im concerned about media serving performance for Plex. There might be up to three people watching
different movies while I still need to work on the file system.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)
Matt
Hello.
You seem to be some one that doesnt know what to do with the money. Buying a big device to use only 2 drives.

Why is it option 2 better? With this option If the NAS fails you cant use none of the drives. If one drive fails, you can not use the other.

Oh why, oh why........
DS211j & DS215j

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:59 pm

nheusel wrote:Like external drives and sneakernet?
No. Like pick your drive of choice and enter a command. (Only for people willing to learn something more than clicking a mouse!)
nheusel wrote:Like roll your own Rsync server?
Roll whatever you like. What do think Synology rolls into hyperbackup and all the rest of their GUI-ized software? They have to be one of the biggest GNU-GPL co-opters out there.
nheusel wrote:There's a cheaper way to do almost anything but at the cost of convenience.
Maybe you define convenience as something that comes in a shrink-wrapped package? The plethora of whiners with slow, non-functioning or otherwise fubar'd backup schemes on this forum alone is astounding.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”