Restore from USB

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Steve251
I'm New!
I'm New!

Restore from USB

Unread post by Steve251 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi

I inherited a client with a Synology NAS DS415+ that failed under warranty
It was returned to Synology and after a month or so they sent a replacement back.

The previous IT guy had a USB drive in it that was backing up (well done you)
I used that backup so that the client could access their data.

It is about 160Gb

Now that the DS415+ is back I need to copy the data from the USB back to the NAS
I started to do th is across their wireless network but it just generated lots of errors and quoted some 3500 hours.

Question is

CanI plug the drive in to the NAS and copy their data back in to a specific folder
I have downloaded the manual but could not locate anything

I need to do this out of hours or at least start it off
Also is there a way of remoting in to the drive to monitor this whilst it is running

Thanks

Steve

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Restore from USB

Unread post by HarryPotter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Steve251 wrote:CanI plug the drive in to the NAS and copy their data back in to a specific folder
As external disk yes, but not as internal one.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”