Recovering Deleted Shared Folder

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
n0agi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Recovering Deleted Shared Folder

Unread post by n0agi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi all
I had accidentally deleted a wrong shared folder on my DS. And, all of my critical data is now gone. A dumb mistake. I am hoping there’s a way to recover this deleted shared folder or the data behind it.

I had reached out to the Synology Support team asking for their assistance. But, also thought I'd throw this request in here and see if anyone had any pointers for me to explore. I did not want to make any changes to the DS till I heard back from Synology if incase they needed to get in there and see if it can be recovered as-is.

Please advise

Thanks in advance

leventy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can I restore deleted user home folder and files

Unread post by leventy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am

Hi everybody,

I deleted user on RS_3614 and deleted user and home folders and files. But deleted 1,7TB data in home folders.
Can I recover home folder?

thanks for your help,
best regards,

kim125
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Recovering Deleted Shared Folder

Unread post by kim125 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 am

I accidentally deleted the wrong share folder on my Synology DS916+ NAS running the latest DMS 6.1 (I think). The folder contained about 15TB of movies/TV shows. I learned a lot during the data recovery process.

WHAT I TRIED:
- First, I removed the 6 HDs (I have the DX-513 expansion unit) and connected them to my motherboard and ran Ubuntu and Windows 10 via another hard drive.
- The file system my Synology is running is BTRFS.. not the old standard EXT4. Because of this, EXTUNDELETE (running on a Ubuntu computer) was ineffective.
- I also tried TestDisk by cgsecurity.org but it couldn't read the btrfs filesystem.. giving me the common block size error.
- Next I started trying PhotoRec but since it does not recover the filenames of recovered files, I decided it would be nearly impossible for me to figure the correct filename for each file... especially the TV episodes. I don't know if it would've worked or not.
- Next I tried Active Undelete using it's Windows version bootable .ISO. It seemed like it might be working but after about 10 minutes it errored out.

THE SOLUTION:
The program I found that worked great for me is Avangate ReclaiMe File Recovery Ultimate (I used build 3535).
PROS:
- It runs on Windows which made it easier for me to connect to other NAS and USB drives for saving the recovered data.
- It was very easy to install and use.
- It automatically detects and sets up the RAID array. No need to download other programs.
- You can download it and test it for free... but, of course, you cannot actually recover the data without buying/registering the program.
- As soon as it finds the file(s) you want to recover, you can recover them... no need to wait for the entire scan to complete.. which, for me, would take at least 24 hours (with about 27TB of data).
- It found the files I needed relatively fast... after roughly 5 hours of scanning on a 32TB system (which was only after 2.35% scan complete.. see MISC COMMENTS below)
- It retained the filename of my files.
- It can find multiple versions of files which is great if you accidentally overwrote or changed a file.
CONS:
- Its EXPENSIVE compared to other software. In order to recover anything other than Windows drives, you have to buy the Ultimate license which is $199.95 ! Since I lost over 100 hours worth of work/data, it was worth it to me.
- It is not configurable. It simply finds the files; you select the files you want to recover; it saves them to your HD, NAS, etc.
- The recovery is pretty slow. It has taken 15 hours to recover 3TB of data so far.
MISC COMMENTS:
- It seemed to find my files in the order of oldest to newest. It found all my older versions of files first, then slowly updated them.
- As the scan progressed, most of the older files started disappearing from the recovery list and it updated with the newer versions. It's almost as if it was finding snapshots in time / history of the NAS. So, if you want an older version of your files, pause the scan and recover your files. You can then resume the scan and let it find more / newer files.
- It found all my files (slowly finding them one at a time) after about 5 hours of scanning, which was only 2.35% of a full scan, but there was no need to let the scan finish. In fact, Avangate's website even states that usually a full scan is not needed and may actually be worse.

I'm not in any way affiliated with Avangate, but I thought I'd share my experience because I was VERY relieved that I was able to recover my data and hope it helps others.
-William "Kim" Sherman, Phoenix125, WA8KIM, Nov 25, 2017

P.S. I am going to send a suggestion to Synology that, in order delete a shared folder, you have to actually type the name of the shared folder. It's too easy to mindlessly type "DELETE". It would take pure negligence to accidentally type "VIDEOS".

tosaconsul
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Recovering Deleted Shared Folder

Unread post by tosaconsul » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 am

Was the recovered folder encrypted before it was deleted? Do you know how ReclaiMe handles encryption? Thanks!

UPDATE - I ran ReclaimMe in the preview mode (without paying for a license which enables the recovery functions of the software) on both of my two disks. I can't say whether ReclaiMe can recover deleted files within an encrypted folder on DiskStation. This is because one of my two disks was corrupted in a way that the recovery key was ineffective in decrypting the encrypted folder when applying the key through DSM. DM me for my method of applying the key successfully to copies of the encrypted folders outside of DSM.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”