Backup synology (as source) nas to freenas (as target)?

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
dotpro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Backup synology (as source) nas to freenas (as target)?

Postby dotpro » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 am

Hi,

How do I make backups to freenas with synology as the SOURCE not target? I've tried the Active Server Backup but it only allows me to select freenas (or another rsync compatible) system as the source.

Does synology only want users to use their product as backup target, not source? I want synology to send backups/rsync its shares to remote rsync server. The key is to configure synology to carry the task.

I am using synology 1813+ and Freenas corral. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
dotpro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Backup synology (as source) nas to freenas (as target)?

Postby dotpro » Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 pm

I was able to do this with the Hyper Backup package.

Thanks
cs3gallery
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cs3gallery » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Im glad that you were able to figure it out. However, is there any way possible you can post your steps to the solution? I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. Grrrr. :)
evansnp
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby evansnp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Any news on this? I tried to set this up, but Hyperbackup asks for a destination folder, which is strange as that is part of the 'Module' setup in Freenas. If I enter the Freenas folder in here, I get an 'insufficient permissions' error. Any help gratefully recieved
harmlessdrudge
Novice
Novice

Postby harmlessdrudge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm

I have a module and a user called diskstation (group: wheel) on my FreeNAS. I connect from HyperBackup as user diskstation, enter the name of the rsync module as the shared folder, and the target directory after that. On FreeNAS ensure max connections is 0.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”