Best backup for limited resources ($$ and bandwidth)

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
fletchs
Beginner
Beginner

Best backup for limited resources ($$ and bandwidth)

Unread post by fletchs » Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I have had my synology since Christmas and have been procrasitnating on what to do for backup.

ABout a week ago a fairly new 4t WD external drive failed and that reminded me to get moving.

Not sure whether to go cloud or buy another synology and backup to it.

The issue is my internet is slow..about 3mbs download and about .8mbs on uploads

I was also dragging my feet because of the costs of using the clould way, but

I just realized that I have a free unlimited google accont my school gave me for grad school.
I have graduated but the account is supposed to be good for life.

If it were not for the speed, I think this would be the way to go. Of course I could set it to only backup at night when we are asleep etc.

The other way is with another synlogy but it would still be in the same physical location which would be good for speed, but bad if I ever had a fire etc.

Which way would you go if you had my limitations?

Thanks!

telos
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Best backup for limited resources ($$ and bandwidth)

Unread post by telos » Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 am

With you limited upload/download bandwidth and $$$ constraints, I would use an external drive (USB connected) as my backup. You can do this with a bare drive and a "dock", or buy a drive enclosed in a housing such as a WD MyBook (under $100 USD for 4 TB).

I don't see the unlimited Google account helping unless you were to increase you bandwidth capacity.
Last edited by telos on Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fletchs
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Best backup for limited resources ($$ and bandwidth)

Unread post by fletchs » Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 am

I may try to do both local and google.

?:
I posted this ? on other sites and most told me to use cloud sync over hyper.

I attempted hyper and it is very slow to load and would time out so I guess they were right. Is there any advantage to using hyper over cloud?

Thanks.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”