Keep external HDD synced with share folder

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Teh_Spartan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Keep external HDD synced with share folder

Postby Teh_Spartan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm

I am a video editor; I mostly work from home. All of my projects live on a 1515+ my workflow is built around my NAS. I recently took on a client who wants me to come into their office once a week so they can be more hands-on and give me new footage. This means the night before, I copy the files to an external drive to bring with me the next day. The transfer can take a few seconds or a few hours. I'm looking for a way to keep the project folder in sync between the NAS and the External HDD. A live sync without delay would be nice but 2-3 times per day would be best. Is there a program that can do this quickly? If not can this be done with some clever scripting in bash or python? I'm not a coder but I know my way around a CLI. One thought I had was to set up an RSYNC server running on a Raspberry Pi file transfers wouldn't be super fast but I'm not working on that drive. Also externally accessing the Synology is not an option.

TL;DR I want to keep a folder from my NAS synced with a folder on an external drive HELP ME!
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Keep external HDD synced with share folder

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 pm

USB Copy application?

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”