How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: How to recover files from Synology NAS HDD in Ubuntu

Postby HarryPotter » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 pm

You nmake thinks too complicated. Directly migrating from a multiple bay unit to a single one is not possible, even if you have single disk volume!

Best way to go:

- remove 1 drive and reboot => volume is degraded, but readable
- reinsert the drive
- create a new volume on this drive instead of repairing the degraded one
- move all shares from degraded to new volume
- delete degraded volume and put that drive to the new single bay unit.
- Move data from old to new unit (via shared folder sync or HyperBackup)
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
chasg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chasg » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Ok, I understand that migrating from multiple bay to single is impossible (that's too bad for me, oh well). Thanks for confirming.

As for the steps you've listed as the best way to go, I'm a bit confused. Apologies.

Couldn't I skip steps 1-5 as you've listed below and do exactly the same thing by:
1) putting the blank 8TB drive I've got into the new single-bay unit (I hope I made it clear that I have a new, blank, 8TB drive in my earlier posts, which makes 3 in total: 2 used already in the 2-bay, and one new one)
2) formatting this blank drive with the Synology OS
3) move the data from 2-bay unit to 1-bay unit with folder sync or hyperbackup (sadly, over ethernet).

Or am I not understanding correctly?

Just to be clear: what I want to end up with is either 1 or 2 below:
1) all Synology solution
a) single-bay unit with all 8TB of data on it (it's archive data, I won't be accessing it often, so I'm happy that it doesn't have mirrored redundancy)
b) two-bay unit with 2 x empty mirrored 8TB drives, formatted and ready to store new archival work

2) Synology plus NTFS drive (this is what I would like the most, far more convenient for me)
a) one 8TB NTFS-formatted drive with all 8TB of my archived data on it (that I can put into a USB enclosure and read directly on my PC)
b) two-bay unit with 2 x empty mirrored 8TB drives, formatted and ready to store new archival work

Is there a way for me to plug in a USB drive (with NTFS formatted 8TB drive inside) into the USB port on the back of the 2-bay unit, and copy the data from the 2-bay onto that USB drive? That'd be the most ideal solution for me. I've done some reading, and I'm not sure if this is possible.

Thanks in advance for any more info, I really appreciate the help you've given.

HarryPotter wrote:You nmake thinks too complicated. Directly migrating from a multiple bay unit to a single one is not possible, even if you have single disk volume!

Best way to go:

- remove 1 drive and reboot => volume is degraded, but readable
- reinsert the drive
- create a new volume on this drive instead of repairing the degraded one
- move all shares from degraded to new volume
- delete degraded volume and put that drive to the new single bay unit.
- Move data from old to new unit (via shared folder sync or HyperBackup)
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:48 am

Yes of course you can skip it. I thought your goal was to have single disk volumes on the old unit with the old disks.
Internal disks are always ext4. There is nothing here to choose.
External disks for backups can be formatted as ntfs.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
chasg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chasg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:59 am

HarryPotter wrote:Yes of course you can skip it. I thought your goal was to have single disk volumes on the old unit with the old disks.
Internal disks are always ext4. There is nothing here to chose.
External disks for backups can be formatted as ntfs.

Ah, phew, I'm glad I understood you correctly.

I'll investigate the NTFS-formatted backup, that'd be the ideal for me (just a lot easier to put an NTFS drive on a shelf and mount it easily later in a USB enclosure).

Thanks again for all the info!
SilQ1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SilQ1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Hey,
I do not have good english, but i hope someone understande what ia write :)

I'm a little problem with synology DS214Play.
2 years ago i want bigger disks (old is 2TB). I buy them (4tb), and swap one out. Repair the raid, and then second and again repair.
Everithing is good, but yesterday something happend. :roll: Synology working but i cant access the web interface
and mapped drive not working etc. Ok, I did a restart. After thath blue light only flashing and thats it
(i wait almost 15minut). I pull both drives out, restart the synology and web interface works.
He want but hdd in back. But i need the old data back before i reinstall. I connect these drives my destkop pc, download Ext2Read,
This interfase show me 2 drive (Y). On both drive there are two partitsion, both is 1,8tb big (=3.7TB together)
He says that they are RAW partition. But although he realizes that this is a raids system.
What i do get data back??

This, https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC
not working, point 11 got stuck. I wait 5 houer but nothing.

Any more ideas?
I need Help,
Thank You.
soulforged
I'm New!
I'm New!

Using the disk from one NAS in another

Postby soulforged » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Hello,

N00b alert!

My question is most likely a generic migration question, so please point me in the direction of the answer if it's already here somewhere.

I used to have a DS212j. At the moment I just have one of the hard drives from it. I'd like to press that back into service but not sure if it is as simple as getting a new NAS (218+?) and plugging in the disk. is it? I do not want to end up losing the data in it as they are all the memories we have of our daughter growing up.

I was thinking of trying it out after using an HDD adapter to take a backup.

Thanks have a great holiday season!
jlin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Is it possible to access single SHR / RAID disk please?

Postby jlin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 am

Hi all,

I am a newbie for Synology NAS, please kindly advice if possible.

May I know after configured 2 disks in SHR or RAID 1 in DS218j, if I take out 1 of the disks and plug it into an external drive adapter, is it possible to access it's data as a single disk please?

Thank you very much!
Squozen
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Is it possible to access single SHR / RAID disk please?

Postby Squozen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 am

If you connect it to a linux server, yes.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... using_a_PC
jlin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Is it possible to access single SHR / RAID disk please?

Postby jlin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 am

It's good to know, thanks a lot, Squozen.
soulforged
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Using the disk from one NAS in another

Postby soulforged » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 am

Okay, so I got a dock (Sabrent SATA to USB3) and plugged the disk to two laptops I got (Win 10 and Win 7 Pro, both 60bit). Win 10 said the disk is GPT and Win 7 said it is not initialized. Now I am freaking out a bit! Does this mean the disk has somehow gone bad??? Or is is jut that the systems are unable to read it? Would plugging it into a Synology NAS help? :cry:
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Using the disk from one NAS in another

Postby sincarne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 am

use synology guide to access file in linux
jpjeffery
Beginner
Beginner

Copy data from dying disk

Postby jpjeffery » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:53 am

Hello

The disk in my DS112j is failing, such that any kind of operation takes an age, sometimes causing said operation to timeout (sometimes I don't even get the login page, often opening a window such as Control Panel takes well over five minutes).

I've now bought a DS218+ with 2x2TB disks. The next step is to copy the data from the old to the new, but when I do manage to log on to the DS112j I find that it's even managed to lose its configuration ("No shared folders").

I'm fairly confident that the data is still there, and I must at least start from the position of some optimism.

One option I have is to power down the old unit, take out the hard drive and put it in a WinStar dock that I have then connect it to the new NAS via USB. This feels like it could be the fastest route to the data since it cuts out the host DSM trying to negotiate its way around the disk by making that disk nothing more than a 'dumb' slave. Are there any considerations to take in to account with this approach?

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”