Shared Folder Sync vs Cloud Station Drive

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Shared Folder Sync vs Cloud Station Drive

Postby rjowenusa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm

I have been using Shared Folder Sync to transfer data from a master Synology NAS (DS213+) in the USA to two remote Synology NAS (DS112J) in locations in Europe for several years now. It works well but has two issues. 1) There is no way to find out what is or has been transferred except looking on the remote NAS to see what is there and 2) If either NAS suffers a configuration or other major failure the only way to recover is to start the sync again from scratch (which means physically sending the remote units to the USA for a week as its too slow over the internet).

I have more recently been using Cloud Station Drive to sync files between a Synology NAS in the US and various laptops. Could this be an alternative to Shared Folkder Sync? Can a second NAS be configured as part of a cloud station drive configuration? I like Cloud Station Drive because we get detail logs and can see what's happening.

I also use Cloud Station Backup to backup laptops to a NAS and Hyper Backup Vault to backup one NAS to another. All work as advertised and have their strengths/weaknesses.

Thank you for any advice on sharing large quantities (2TB) of read-only data with remote NAS around the world.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Shared Folder Sync vs Cloud Station Drive

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

This are 2 completely different things. Shared folder sync is a 1 way sync between 2 NAS, CloudStation Drive a 2-way sync between PC/Laptop and a centralised NAS.
If you are looking for a substitute you can use the package CloudSttation ShareSync. It does the same as CloudStation Drive, but between 2 Synology devices.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rjowenusa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Perfect, thank you HarryPotter. I was not aware of Cloud Station ShareSync. I will give it a try. Do you happen to know if I can setup the sync and then copy the remote files locally into the new synced folder to avoid them being copied from the master (because they will already be there).
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes you can. But as you have already used shared folder sync, all 3 libraries should be in sync and there is nothing else to do than to install CloudStation Share Sync on the 2 remote NAS abroad and connect the package with the USA NAS.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rjowenusa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Thank you @HarryPotter
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rjowenusa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

okay, initially this seemed to be working well. I setup Cloud Station Server on the destination and defined the shareSync on the source. The logs showed some folder creation but no file copies for several hours but CPU usage and LAN upload was very high. I figured it was verifying the files. However eventually it started copying files for no apparent reason (same file on both ends). What was weird was it was obviously working in alphabetic order and it started copying about half way through the 3700 files existing on both sides. It's like it ran out of resources to compare files and just decided to copy them. Any thoughts? I've stopped the sync because it will take weeks to resend the remaining files on the internet connections we have. Thanks
mskreis
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mskreis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 am

HarryPotter wrote:This are 2 completely different things. Shared folder sync is a 1 way sync between 2 NAS, CloudStation Drive a 2-way sync between PC/Laptop and a centralised NAS.
If you are looking for a substitute you can use the package CloudSttation ShareSync. It does the same as CloudStation Drive, but between 2 Synology devices.

So should I use Cloudstation Drive if I essentially want an exact copy of my DS213+ on a station I plan to purchase soon that will be located at another site?

Mark
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rjowenusa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Mark,

Cloud Station ShareSync allows you to sync two shared folders on different Synology NAS. You can choose if the sync is one way or bi-directional. This appears to be a more modern replacement for the older Shared folder Sync. Cloud Station dDrive allows you to sync one or more PC folders with a master folder on a Synology NAS. I use this in my small company to share files being updated by multiple users. It works well and copies the latest update to both the NAs and other PCs. The only time it gets complex is if two users update the same file at the same time when it creates duplicates that need to be manually merged. However if you are just pushing master documents from your NAS to another NAS in a different location I believe Cloud Station Sharesync is the way to go.

John
mskreis
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mskreis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm

rjowenusa wrote:Mark,

Cloud Station ShareSync allows you to sync two shared folders on different Synology NAS. You can choose if the sync is one way or bi-directional. This appears to be a more modern replacement for the older Shared folder Sync. Cloud Station dDrive allows you to sync one or more PC folders with a master folder on a Synology NAS. I use this in my small company to share files being updated by multiple users. It works well and copies the latest update to both the NAs and other PCs. The only time it gets complex is if two users update the same file at the same time when it creates duplicates that need to be manually merged. However if you are just pushing master documents from your NAS to another NAS in a different location I believe Cloud Station Sharesync is the way to go.

John
mskreis
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mskreis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm

mskreis wrote:
rjowenusa wrote:Mark,

John

John,

Thanks for your advice. You indicated above that there were some issues. Have these been resolved and do you feel that this will be an effective solution in the future?

Mark
rjowenusa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rjowenusa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Mark,

It's true that my first sync using Cloud Station ShareSync is causing me some heartache (re syncing files that are already on the remote NAS and wasting valuable bandwidth on my internet connections) but I believe this is because I converted from using the old Shared Folder Sync mechanism and hoped it would retain files already synched. In some cases this is working and others not. I don't know why. But regardless, Cloud Station Sharesync seems much more robust and you can view activity logs on both NAS units. Shared Folder Sync gave you no information whatsoever.

I recommend you use Could Station ShareSync and I don't think you will experience my issues as you will be setting up a new sync from scratch.

John.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”