Media Server looses connection

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Media Server looses connection

Postby plldp » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:48 pm

I had the same problem:
* Streaming using DLNA disconnected after about 20 minutes
* Playing video from mediaplayer using SMB also disconnected after about 20 minutes
* Browsing Windows share using PC worked just fine
* Browsing the DS admin-interface was fine. Minor delays on some functions

My DS is hardwired, and uses a fixed IP. Problem started after replacing the Internet router.
It turned out that the new router had a different DHCP pool, overlapping the fixed IP of the DS causing an IP conflict with another DHCP-device on the local network. This is not logged anywhere that I could see.
Changed the fixed IP of the DS to be outside the DHCP-pool of the router - no problem since.
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby le_benj_38 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi, same pb for me while watching video with TV (sorry for my english).
DS216j + Orange Livebox switch + Sony KDL-32W650A all hardwired

The time for disconnection is exactly the time for HDD hibernate mode ; for me : 20 minutes (settings/hardware & power)

Except modify the hibernate parameters ; how to keep alive the DS ?

Why do the DS don't know that its stream video and entet into hibernate mode ??? How is it possible :?:

Static IP adress dont change anything (static IP for DS and for TV into switch & DS) but :

I think I've found the solution into TV settings Sony KDL-32W650A (I am not sure because I am novice) :
I disable IPV6 into TV settings
I disable all renderer except DS into TV settings

Postby gizbug » Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Maybe just turn off hibernate on the nAS? This disconnect happens with my iMac and iTunes.
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jelle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Been having the same issue ever since I bought my DS212J & a samsung smart TV series 7. Tried all ideas posted here but nothing worked...BUT...

Recently one of my WLAn acces points died (older 802.11 b,g model) and I decided to upgrade my home WLAN with the latest 802.11 ac with Ubiquinti access points that handle both the 2,4 and 5 GHz band because of my older model ipad whitch can not handle the 5 GHz.
After installation and reconnecting my TV (wireless connection) I was curious to try streaming a movie from my NAs via the Synology video station and worked like a charm with no timeouts or network disconnection at all.

I have been streaming 10's of movies and it work like a charm.

For any reason the WLAN upgrade has solved my issue..I am far from an IT wizz so no idea what could have been the issue, maybe other members can give a more technical explanation?

Hope this can help some of you guys solving this very annoying matter.

Good luck!

Postby davotoula » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:35 pm

I resolved my issues by upping the SSDP interval to 7200 seconds (2 hours).

Return to “Streaming Multimedia Server”