Video station can't play in Browser since DSM 6.1.2-15132

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here
erpol
Trainee
Trainee

Video station can't play in Browser since DSM 6.1.2-15132

Postby erpol » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,

Since I made the last DSM update 6.1.2-15132 (and also updated 4 apps but none involving media), Video station won't play a video in the browser any more (this was working yesterday).

Instead it will display the following message (approximate from French): "Synology NAS can only transcode one video at a time and is now transcoding for another user. Try again later".

Needless to say there is no other user connected. I tried unchecking video transcoding in the media server, restarting the NAS and the Media server and Videostation packages, but nothing works.
What is strange is that it does this with most but not all video files (some work), but I couldn't establish a pattern. It doesn't do this in the iOS video client for instance, which uses an external video player (VLC).

Thanks for helping fix this,

RP
fremenik
Student
Student

Re: Video station can't play in Browser since DSM 6.1.2-15132

Postby fremenik » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm

erpol wrote:Hi,

Since I made the last DSM update 6.1.2-15132 (and also updated 4 apps but none involving media), Video station won't play a video in the browser any more (this was working yesterday).

Instead it will display the following message (approximate from French): "Synology NAS can only transcode one video at a time and is now transcoding for another user. Try again later".

Needless to say there is no other user connected. I tried unchecking video transcoding in the media server, restarting the NAS and the Media server and Videostation packages, but nothing works.
What is strange is that it does this with most but not all video files (some work), but I couldn't establish a pattern. It doesn't do this in the iOS video client for instance, which uses an external video player (VLC).

Thanks for helping fix this,

RP

I would recommend uninstalling the video station package from your nas, do not keep present settings if prompted to keep them when uninstalling. Reboot your NAS then reinstall the video station package. I'd also recommend doing this with the default admin account. I have two DS1815 NAS devices and I have seen video station package updates within the past few days. Maybe your NAS didn't show or get the update. Also you will want to look at the version number offered to you in the DSM package center, then go to the Synology site and see what version the download centre offers for your NAS, it might be possible one of those versions might be newer than the other, then make sure you have the newest version installed.

I just updated both of my DS1815+ NASs and I am able to play various videos in Firefox 54.0 without problems, I tried a few different videos and they all worked fine in the browser, I also did this in DS Video on my Apple TV and they also played fine. That said I also noticed when I performed the DSM update, one of my NASs took an extra 6 minutes and the other took and extra 22 minutes to fully boot up after the countdown timer was finished counting down in my browser, so anyone updating might expect an additional delay when updating and if they have a slower NAS it might take longer.

To be clear, when the countdown timer had finished I saw a DSM login, but when I tired to login I got a message saying the system was busy and to try again later. Luckily I saw someone on another forum reported this and they said they just waited, so that's what I did. While this was happening my NAS did not finish rebooting yet, meaning I did not hear a beep to indicate it was done booting up, I was NOT able to access the NAS through DSM, I was however able to see the NAS in Synology Assistant and it said the NAS was starting services, I was also able to access the NAS in Windows explorer and VLC on my Apple TV. Once it was completed loading services I heard the usual beep to indicate it was done booting, then all was good.
I hope this helps
erpol
Trainee
Trainee

Postby erpol » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi fremenik,

Thanks for your response. I confess I didn't try your solution completely, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the package without erasing the settings, as there quite a few of them!

The problem still persists, but now only with some files and not others, so I'm inclined to think that it's something associated with the format of the video and not a global problem.

I will continue testing and post if I find anything new.

Cheers,
RP
fremenik
Student
Student

Postby fremenik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:40 pm

erpol wrote:Hi fremenik,

Thanks for your response. I confess I didn't try your solution completely, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the package without erasing the settings, as there quite a few of them!

The problem still persists, but now only with some files and not others, so I'm inclined to think that it's something associated with the format of the video and not a global problem.

I will continue testing and post if I find anything new.

Cheers,
RP

Hi RP
Yes, I understand there are some settings to wipe out, but really the only settings you will lose will be your custom rules and many times the videos play fine with default settings, the default settings will go back in place when you re-install the video station package, in some cases you might have a few custom rules to reconfigure. I recommend making some screenshots of your settings to make it easier to rebuild them and performing the steps I suggested once again.

But you need to do all the steps, Log in as the default admin account, uninstall the Video Station package and and make sure to remove all settings during the uninstall process using the uninstall wizard (this part is very important, because it is likely a Video Station setting that is causing the problem), then reboot the NAS and re-install the Video Station package. Also keep in mind you are only removing the settings to Video station when choosing to remove settings during the uninstall process. To Be CLEAR, you DO NOT want to reset all of your NAS settings, just the ones related to Video Station using the uninstall wizard.

When the NAS boots up, login as Admin, install Video Station with default settings, then test to see if your files play correctly. If they do, then don't bother applying custom rules unless you find a problem with your files playing.
I hope this helps

Return to “Streaming Multimedia Server”