HVEC H.265 with DS Video or DLNA

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
davessand
I'm New!
I'm New!

HVEC H.265 with DS Video or DLNA

Postby davessand » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi all, first post here as new Synology NAS owner.

I am brand new to NAS drives and have just purchased a Synology DS216play with the main intention of using it for backup, photo sharing and media streaming. I thought I had researched it well enough that a Google Chromecast and the DS Video app would allow me to cast H.265 HVEC videos at 1080p to my TV but now I have found out Chromecast only supports H.264 and I have an error when I try and play the video. Transcoding on my PC to H.264, transferring to the NAS works fine and maybe what I end up doing. I have a largish collection of movies 300+ that I want to start ripping and I was hoping to put them all into H.265 for space and long term this should be just as universal at H.264 is. My TV is ~7 years old full 1080p panel which has excellent image quality but no smart features which I get from the Chromecast and a PS3 which I also use for Bluray playback currently.

From what I can see my options are:
1. Just use H.264, live the increased size for same quality and enjoy maximum compatibility.
2. Buy one of the Android TV boxes that has a H.265 hardware decoder and use this for either DLNA or maybe Plex server. There seems to be lots of cheap options and not sure what are the best but saw this which looks good value (can always but and return if it doesn't work for me) mod note: commercial link removed
3. Buy a new Samsung TV where the latest models have H.265 decoder in them and also allow the DS Video app which would seem to solve my problem the neatest but at the highest cost.

My preference is to try and get H.265 working so when I transcode my entire collection it is in an efficient format so don't mind spending a bit of time and money to get this working.

So after that my question is what do you think I should do to get this working and is there another option to the above?
drabisan
Guru
Guru

Re: HVEC H.265 with DS Video or DLNA

Postby drabisan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 am

My vote would be an android media player that does good old smb access. And no reliance on Plex or dlna whatsoever.
And I've done the purchase and it just works.
davessand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby davessand » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, and that an Android box would be a solution. Do you use an Android box for H.265 and if so can I ask which one?

There are a huge variety with lots of them claiming support for H.265 for 4K and guessing that the same decoder is on at the lower 1080p resolution? Also can I ask with an Android TV can you run the Synology DS Video app? I am knowledgeable on all of this (as you might tell) and I believe the decoding part is completely hardware limited and nothing to do with the DS Video app? If that is the case could I maybe just buy the Chromecast Ultra 4K model which presumably has H.265 for 4K (can't seem to see if this will work or not)?

Android TV wise I tried to link a shop which was a mistake, but the box I was trying to ask about was the OcoQce TX3 Pro which seems very good value.

Thanks for any help yopu can give but as the ripping, transcoding and sorting my Bluray collection will take me a long while I want to get it right at the beginning.
drabisan
Guru
Guru

Postby drabisan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm going to send a PM about the box I have. I'm not going to make publicity for free on an open forum ;-)

Return to “Streaming Multimedia Server”