DS 216j media server - subtitles issue

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here
Bienio
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS 216j media server - subtitles issue

Postby Bienio » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:24 am

Hi All,

I'm using DS216j for few weeks and I found some problem. From last two weeks I cannot see subtitles on my Panasonic TV when using DLNA. I checked this movie with USB and subtitles working fine so it's not a TV problem, but something with NAS. I also tried to change the DLNA devices profiles in media server setting but it doesn't help. At the beginning everthing was working fine so I think think that maybe this problem appeared after some update.

Anyone have same problem and know some solutions?
dolomit6
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS 216j media server - subtitles issue

Postby dolomit6 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Same here, i can't turn subtitles on using DLNA on Panasonict TV. The same files are played OK on the same TV using flash drive.
I've tried Serviio player, but still no subtitles, video and sound are OK.

Tried everything i found on the net, no result.

I'm using DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 (latest for now).

I hope Synology support will help.
dolomit6
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS 216j media server - subtitles issue

Postby dolomit6 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:50 pm

I've raised a case to Synology regarding this topic. The official answer is:
Please note that by default, the standard DLNA protocol does not support subtitle. There may be some DMA or TV devices that will add it as extra feature, and if the device supports it, then it may work with DiskStation. However, it seems most DMA/TV devices do not support the feature, hence it will not be possible to run the subtitle files when streaming video via DLNA.

But...
The way to watch movies + subtitles (even in Cyrillic in my case) is called minidlna-1.1.6-1.armada38x. Package for many Synology models are available for free download.
Everything is working... unofficially :)

BIG thanks to the guy/guys who created minidlna!

Return to “Streaming Multimedia Server”