TimeMachine can't find diskstation

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
rt2014
Novice
Novice

Re: TimeMachine can't find diskstation

Postby rt2014 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:28 am

Time Machine to a Non-Apple networked device just really doesn't work anymore. Even if it does there is no guarantee that your backup will actually be good when you need it..

Refer to these posts for some tips that MAY help, but again I'd recommend just not using Time Machine anymore if you want to use your NAS.. I gave up..

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=108605
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=108328

Good luck!

-RT
tau_ceti
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tau_ceti » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Apples own time capsule is such junk that we switched to the Diskstation and are much happier. I recommend it to everyone. No having to rebuild our backups unexpectedly every few months anymore! If Apple makes something besides Time Capsule let me know since last time I looked it certainly didn't seem like it.

I did solve my problem. All I needed to do was update all the packages on my machine. None of them have anything to do with time machine, but something must have been interfering with it.
dbnoise
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dbnoise » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Your diskstation has probably changed IP adress.

Solve by open up time machine settings and add disk, then you will find your diskstation (if online) > choose it and press "back up now" from time machine settings.

Done.
Tesgin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tesgin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:44 am

dbnoise wrote:Your diskstation has probably changed IP adress.

Solve by open up time machine settings and add disk, then you will find your diskstation (if online) > choose it and press "back up now" from time machine settings.

Done.

I am having the same problems as the original poster. None of these solutions has worked for me.

Time Machine is no longer working for me. It "was" working. I have successfully backed up three computers to Time Machine sparsebundles. I've been able to enter Time Machine and access the various backups over the past several weeks. It backed up successfully at around midnight today.

Now it can no longer see the backups. When I try to select a backup disk, nothing shows up ("browse other backup disks"). If I enter Time Machine now, "occasionally" it works, but usually not. Mostly it just says "waiting" and the Time Machine windows are all blank. Sometimes it will not allow me to select another time but usually not: I can only select the "now" time; or sometimes it will allow me to select another time for restore, but no files show up.

Last night it actually found the sparse bundle an did a backup. Interestingly, as it was doing the backup, when I went to “browse other backup disks” it could not find any backups. It was blank. This WHILE TM was actually backing up!

For a few brief moments I was actually able to go into TM and browse a few dates where the files showed up to restore, but then I’d switch to another date and I got the “waiting” message.

So, on my local network, typically TM can do the backups to the NAS -- at least "most" of the time -- but I can't restore from backups.

Remotely, it doesn't work at all (in spite of the fact that I have no problem at all accessing the NAS via QuickConnect.

I've spent HOURS and HOURS on this, with no success:

I've searched Synology user forums for help and the problem has been reported before. No solutions.

I have contacted Synology phone support, and it's been pathetic; other than very basic, beginner problems, they openly acknowledge they don't know much about Time Machine and have no idea how to fix this. They suggest I use email support, because that's a "higher level" support.

That's been a waste as well: they told me to reboot the NAS (which I'd already done), to turn off all unnecessary packages because my CPU usage was too high; I did that and that didn't help. Finally they convinced me to reinstall of the DSM. I did that and it made no difference.

Finally, their most recent email support reply:

"We do not have any known issues that Time Machine no longer works and it still works for us in our testing. I would recommend performing the Reset and if this does not resolve the issue I would recommend creating a different Time Machine Folder and seeing if the issue persists using this newly created folder as well."

I DID the reset and reinstall. I'm glad it works for them in their testing. Not working for me at all. That response wasn't helpful.

One of the phone support guys told me that TM backups to a NAS over a wireless connection is generally unreliable, and that it's not a Synology problem, but a known TM issue. That also wasn't helpful. I challenged him on that: if that's true, then they shouldn't be promoting it as a TM solution. He just said it wasn't their fault.

I'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone has a fix for this. I can't believe this isn't reported more frequently than it is. I'm having the same problem on three different computers!

I'm concluding the NAS just isn't reliable for TM backups. I'm about at the same place as the original poster: ready to throw in the towel. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks in advance, Tesgin
freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby freefly » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi,

i have the same issue from time to time.
First, doing TM Backup over Wifi is definitely unstable and it works better and faster over copper.
Sometimes the TM Destination disappears and i can't connect, even while trying to mount it manually, other Shared Folders remains accessible.
The only thing i have to do is reboot the Router where everything is connected to,
i have a Cisco RV220W with the latest Firmware on it, have never investigated why it's doing this, but maybe it will Help you.

Try connecting your Mac directly to the DS, re-config Network and check if it's working, if you have multipart DS you can enable DHCP on the port, makes it a bit more easy..
I agree that this is not a Workaround.

Btw, in the past i had the same issue on my old DS207+ using the same router..

Regards
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.
tau_ceti
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tau_ceti » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:03 pm

I did solve my problem. All I needed to do was update all the packages on my machine. None of them have anything to do with time machine, but something must have been interfering with it.
Tesgin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tesgin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks, freefly, for the suggestions. I did try rebooting the router. Didn't make any difference. Still the same problem.

I tried entering TM from my iMac which is directly connected to the NAS: same issues. It can back up but cannot see it if I try to restore. I just can't access it at all.

And tao_ceti, good suggestion, but it also did not work for me. Same issues. It made no difference.

I'm curious -- and would appreciate hearing from others on this -- how widespread this is? I am aware that I'm not the only one having problems with this, but I don't have a good feel for just HOW common this is. It's my impression that many people are not having issues at all?

It would be good for those of us who are having this issues to hear more from others who are not. What are the differences in our setups? Is this about ad blockers, or antivirus apps? Is it about the brand of the router? Not sure where to start.

Tesgin
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Not sure I will be of any help considering that I have had 0 problems with my macs and 412+ NAS as a TM backup destination. My network setup is simple. Ethernet & wifi machines with NETGEAR switch and Synology 1900 router (plus ISP router/modem in the back) for connection.

412+ is connected with dual ethernet (LAG configuration) on the network.

Just about 10 days ago I have tried to test TM backup insider a VM MacOSX. I have booted up and used Time Machine restore. Have got last 3 months of various backup and restore went fine (thats a full computer restore). On top of that I have tried to restore specific files using TM app (random files), and that worked just fine.

Never had any problems with TM and Syno ever since I started to use it (even with older DS models).

Only problems that I do have (and this is my fault tbh) is that sometimes I tend to sleep my mac while its doing a backup. Considering that NAS is so silent and I don't pay attention to the menubar icon, it happens sometimes. In those cases my TM volume can remain mounted and the next time TM kicks in it reports that the volume is in use. Its all about dismounting it and letting TM run again, no big issue there.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
levinzhong
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby levinzhong » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 am

After update to DSM 6.0, I got the same problem. Can't find the diskstation backup folder. I tried to change the backup folder in settings, then the mac time machine can find the new backup folder, but after restart the disk station, it doesn't work again. So thought may be some glitch of the DSM 6 version.
spiker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby spiker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm pretty sure Time Machine need a working "Bonjour " on Synology. I got the same problem since update to DSM 6. My Mac doesent find the Backup-Volume anymore.

I did read some where that somebody judst did enable and disable Bonjour Printer service on Syno to fix the problem.

This did not work for me. Maybe somebody know how to fix bonjour
spiker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby spiker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 pm

I can confirm the reason of problem is Bonjour/Zeroconf!

After restart Syno. Time Mashine did find the Volume and did the Backup as usual.
See Bonjour (iNet Networkscanner): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/259 ... G_0424.PNG

Couple of Hours later. Same Problem : Time Machine doews not find its Volume.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/259 ... G_0425.PNG

So I would recommend to ask Synology Support to fix Bonjour for you.
They gonna do this remote (Telnet)
Tangible
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tangible » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Nothing to add, except someone asked how many people have this problem. So, +1

It was working when I left this location in December. I returned a few weeks ago, and my TM can't see my backups on Synology. I can, however, mount the backup folder in Finder.
Tangible
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tangible » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 pm

It seems to be working. I followed the advice of another user on this thread, and updated two packages that were seemingly irrelevant: Surveillance Station and Download Station. I then rebooted once more, and there was my folder in the Time Machine list.

YMMV, and mine probably will too, but for the moment it's working.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 am

well I have to add a comment here, considering that after 6.0 update TM is not working for me as it should. When it finds TM destination then it backup just fine. I might add that backup is faster in every step. Locating the disk, performing the backup and cleanup as well. Much faster then while it was on 5.x version.

However, bonjour service on syno side is having some problems for sure. My DS is no longer located automatically until I manually uncheck/check Bonjour box in File Services (DSM control panel). As soon as I reset its service, and hit TM backup it works without any problem.

Syno support also suggested that I reinstall DSM but I told them thats not an option and I'm sure it won't make any difference. Waiting for a bug fix from them.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby freefly » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi,

have you upgraded to the latest version which has been released a few days ago? DSM 6.0-7321 Update 1 released 2016/04/15
Changelog says:
Improved the stability when connecting via AFP protocol.

Regards
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”