Time Machine backups in use after connection to NAS lost

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
registrationsucks
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Auto-disconnect Time Machine user

Postby registrationsucks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:14 pm

I have been experiencing this problem on a Mavericks 10.9.5 laptop for a long time. I recently rebuilt the backup file and still have the issue. It seems to be related to the synology sharing locks, or something.

I'd like to implement a similar scripted solution on the synology to kick off these users so the file is not locked...any update on this?
gawws
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Time Machine backups in use after connection to NAS lost

Postby gawws » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:21 am

Same problems here...

"Kill Connection" from the Resource Monitor does not work. I have to shutdown Mac File Services and reboot the unit in order to get Time Machine to work, and it works only once and I have to repeat these steps. Obviously this is not sustainable.

Buggy DSM, Synology. Expect better given the price charged. Was getting ready to purchase another DS415+ to replicate to another site, but now I am not sure I want to further this investment.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 am

gawws wrote:Same problems here...

"Kill Connection" from the Resource Monitor does not work. I have to shutdown Mac File Services and reboot the unit in order to get Time Machine to work, and it works only once and I have to repeat these steps. Obviously this is not sustainable.

Buggy DSM, Synology. Expect better given the price charged. Was getting ready to purchase another DS415+ to replicate to another site, but now I am not sure I want to further this investment.

I had a same problem for a short period but it was fixed several DSM updates ago.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
UshantRob
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby UshantRob » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 am

I have just tried the Kill Connection via Resource manager which worked, it happens VERY rarely now.

I set up specific user on Synology (iMacTimeMachine) and granted it Read/Write access to the Time Machine shared folder, no-one else has access. This also allows me to use Quota to set a limit on how big the Time Machine back up can grow as I limit the space the back up user can have.

iMac Mid 2011 - MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
Synology DS212j - DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1
julianmcnally
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby julianmcnally » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:23 am

In File Services, AFP under Advanced Settings, I checked 'Release resources immediately after disconnect'.

Seems to be working (2 backups so far) but I had ejected and re-mounted the target folder under afp on the Mac (Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)).

DS-416j
DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 1
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Happned to me a while back again. Maybe once in 2 or 3 months... Not bothered with that too much considering that backups are kicking in every 3 hours.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
jasondunn
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jasondunn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm

The fix for this is pretty straight-forward, so I'm surprised no one has posted it: if you have two Apple computers that want to back up to the same location on your Synology NAS, you need to have each device use a different user account. I have an iMac and a Macbook. I created one account for my iMac, then copied that account in the user account settings, and added the name of my MacBook onto the end. Then on each device you authenticate with the respective credentials and point Time Machine at the disk you're using. This problem had been driving me passively nuts for months and today I decided to finally fix it.

#ProTip: Unless you're setting up a fresh Synology, you're probably using a EXT4 hybrid array for your volume, which doesn't allow you to limit the folder size of your Time Machine backups...the net result is Apple will fill up your entire NAS. :( The solution is to create a new volume, make it BTRFS, and have it dedicated to your Time Machine backups.

This whole thing is a horrible pain and Synology has done nothing to make it any easier. :shock:

EDIT: I was wrong. It's still happening. Even though I verified that both my iMac and Macbook were backing up to time Machine simultaneously. I am baffled. :?
Last edited by jasondunn on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Not sure what info in this previous post is more wrong so I’ll just say it short.

Multiple accounts can lead to the same problem at hand and btrfs is not a prerequisite for not filling the nas with TM backups. There is nothing complicated about setting up a TM backup with dedicated user and quota
jasondunn
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jasondunn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 am

Rusty1281 wrote:Multiple accounts can lead to the same problem at hand and btrfs is not a prerequisite for not filling the nas with TM backups. There is nothing complicated about setting up a TM backup with dedicated user and quota

You can't set a folder quota with an EXT4 volume - the quota has to be on a user basis, not a folder basis. You need to use BTRFS to set a folder quota.

Do you even have a Mac? If you did, you'd understand that macOS is utterly horrible about dealing with different network credentials on the same network resource. I'll try to explain:

You have an "admin" account with access to everything on your NAS. If you use this account for Time Machine, there will be no quota (because you don't want a storage quota on your admin account) and Time Machine will consume huge amounts of storage on your NAS. If you then create a "Time Machine" user with only access to your Time Machine folder and apply a size quota to it, Time Machine will work OK and back up with a quota. But ALL the other network resources you want access will break. If you log in again as Admin, things start working, but then Time Machine breaks. I've been fighting with this for months, and have asked all sorts of experienced macOS experts and never found anything that worked. I did fine one option for Finder to use different credentials for the same network resource, but it doesn't survive a reboot and isn't reliable.

I can tell no one at Synology uses a Mac or they'd have a better solution for this mess.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 am

I have 6 macs ty for asking.

Who said you need to make a folder quota and not a user quota? Why would a folder quota make more sense?

If you read the KB more closely you would see that you shouldn't make TM NAS accounts as admins: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... chine#t1.1

So next time read a bit better and look at some pictures. This is not rocket science and 'in use volume' problem is not the result of any multi mac/accounts problems and/or quota. Its annoying, true, but not something you should be presenting as a revelation here with wrong facts.
SynKomrad
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SynKomrad » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:05 pm

This happened to my while messing with my home WiFi and VPN services. What worked was too rebook the Mac computer. In my case it was my Macbook Pro that was saying the drive was in use.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”