use DS410J as backup device for Windows Home Server

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
guyds
I'm New!
I'm New!

use DS410J as backup device for Windows Home Server

Postby guyds » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Synology DS410J as a backup device for my Windows Home Server.
Reason: by using JBOD I can expand the disk capacity of the device when required and it should also be faster than a USB device

My questions:
1) Is the Data Replicator software compatible with Windows Server 2003 (on which Windows Home Server is based) ?
2) Can I backup UNC path / mapped drives with the Data Replicator software (it's not recommended using the drive letters directly on WHS) ?
3) I'm planning to use Samsung HD203WI (2TB) disks with the DS410J. Do they perform well with this device ?
3) Are there any reasons why I shouldn't use the SD410J as a backup device for my WHS ?

Thanks,

Guy
antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Re: use DS410J as backup device for Windows Home Server

Postby antoiney » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:28 am

Hi guyds,

Thanks for your inquiry.

JBOD does not have Raid redundancy, so using JOBD volume would probably have a massive destruction of your data when one of the composing hard drive is dropped from Raid array.

However, regarding questions about Data Replicator 3, here's the answer below:

1. Data Replicator 3 is compatible with Windows Server 2003.
2. You may backup UNC path/Mapped drive with Data Replicator 3. Please also refer to this article below on how you proceed a backup with Data Replicator 3: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... plicator_3
3 The hard drive has been tested by our technicians as a compatible HDD for the DiskStation.
4. Generally there's no issue need to be aware for conducting DR3 backup with the Windows Home Server.

Thanks,
Antoine
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
guyds
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby guyds » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Antoine,

That sounds very good.

One additional question though:
I read that the "xxxj series" are known to be slower than the "non-j series", but I'm wondering
what impact this might have (if any) when using the NAS as a backup device only (connected to a GB switch) ?
(i.e no fileserver, no media streaming, ..., just backup)

Regarding JBOD:
I know it doesn't have any redundancy, but the NAS itself will be the redundant device in my network (i.e. as backup device of the already redundant data on my WHS)
So if one of the disks fail in the NAS, the RAID will indeed be broken, but my data is still (redundant) on my WHS and I can simply replace the disk in the NAS
with a new one and start backing up again, no ?
At least, that's how I see it :)

***EDIT***
Some more questions:
- Can I start using the 410j with one disk only and then add additional disks later on (rather than starting with 2 or more disks immediately) ?
- If I put 3 or 4 disks in the 410j, can I still chain them all together with JBOD as one large disk or will I have two separate "chains" ?
(I read somewhere that the 410j treats it like 2 dual-drive RAIDs, which I thought might mean that I can't chain them all 3 or 4 together but rather have to chain the first 2 and the last 2 separately)

Guy
henri66
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby henri66 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I planned to do a VERY similar operation:

Source is a Windows Home Server (WHS) server at home.
Backup is a DS-211J at my brother's home.

I plan to do backup from my WHS to the NAS

Same questions:
- has anyone installed already Data replicator 3 on a WHS server?
- is there some issues if the NAS is available over the internet and not on the LAN ?

Thanks

Henri
antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby antoiney » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:17 am

Hi Henri,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Backing WHS to Synology DiskStation over WAN can be achieved with Data Replicator 3; however, one condition is that there are few network protocols (DR3, and CIFS/Samba) are needed to do port forwarding on the deployed router in both locations - although I'll not suggest this way.

For other solutions to achieve the backup with much secure protocols, using VPN or Rsync backup client, such as Cygwin or DeltaCopy, details can be found at here, would be a better choice instead.

Hope this helps, thank you.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
henri66
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby henri66 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi antoiney,
antoiney wrote:Backing WHS to Synology DiskStation over WAN can be achieved with Data Replicator 3; however, one condition is that there are few network protocols (DR3, and CIFS/Samba) are needed to do port forwarding on the deployed router in both locations - although I'll not suggest this way.

Why don't you suggest that way? Too complicated, too unsecured, not reliable?
I wanted a kind of plug and play solution. Or not too much customized....

For other solutions to achieve the backup with much secure protocols, using VPN or Rsync backup client, such as Cygwin or DeltaCopy, details can be found at here, would be a better choice instead.

Whaaaa. I looked at it and it does not look simple.
And i am worrying about the blank in folder names ("Skipping this step will result in a backup folder named test instead of test Data.
")
I have a LOT of folders and subfolders with blanks.
Does it mean it has to be done for EACH INDIVIDUAl sub folder? or just the first one (I doubt it).
antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby antoiney » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 am

Greetings henri66,

Sorry for the delayed response.

It's not secure to disclose file sharing protocols on the Internet, since it could be hacked somehow.
As I said, using VPN or rsync-compatible software clients are much secure to achieve the remote backup scenario.

Do you mean that whether the backup will skip folders when a space involved within filenames?
It certainly not, unless folders' have illegal characters as it's not accepted by Windows OS.

Edit: backing up remotely could result in progressively slow in terms of the network condition.
henri66
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby henri66 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:57 pm

antoiney wrote:It's not secure to disclose file sharing protocols on the Internet, since it could be hacked somehow.
As I said, using VPN or rsync-compatible software clients are much secure to achieve the remote backup scenario.

OK, clear

Do you mean that whether the backup will skip folders when a space involved within filenames?
It certainly not, unless folders' have illegal characters as it's not accepted by Windows OS.

OK thank you.

Edit: backing up remotely could result in progressively slow in terms of the network condition.

I understand. I will backup everything local in LAN. Then I will install it remote and will only handle incremental and deltas.

Thanks

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”