Mac: Restore System from Time Machine Backup

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
str84wod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mac: Restore System from Time Machine Backup

Unread post by str84wod » Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Hello,

I found lot of information how to backup with time maschine. With DSM2.3 it sounds really easy.
But I found not information how to restore it to a new system.

I am afraid that Backups from NAS will not be shown using "Utilities > Restore System from Backup", because Apples Time Machine does not support network solutions out of the box.

How can I restore my system backups from NAS like shown here:
http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2008/01/ ... chine.html
or
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... 15638.html

brrr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Mac: Restore System from Time Machine Backup

Unread post by brrr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Works great. As long as you can backup to your Synology, you can restore. I've done it many times. Just pop in your install DVD that came with your mac and select restore from TimeMachine backup. It'll automatically search for your TM back up volume and present you with your backups. It's seamless.

nd-photo.nl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by nd-photo.nl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

Same, works great. I had to restore my Macbook Pro a while ago, went seamless with my DS409+. Took a few hours though, but worked nevertheless :mrgreen:
Synology DS409+ (DSM 3.0-1337)
4x Samsung F2 Ecogreen 1.5TB HD154UI / RAID5 (ext4)

System 1: Apple iMac 27" + 24" Apple Cinema Display / Intel Core i7 / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD / Snow Leopard
System 2: Macbook Pro 15" / Snow Leopard / 2.4GHz / WD5000BEVT 500GB / 4GB DDR3
System 3: Windows 7 x64 Pro / AMD Opty 170 / 8800GTS 640MB / WD Raptor 36GB + 150GB / 1x Samsung 1TB F3 HD103SJ / 2x Samsung 1TB F1 HD103UJ

str84wod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by str84wod » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you, had really doubts if OS X Setup discover network and connection to Synology NAS and is able to restore via network. Great.

pediatrik
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pediatrik » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:55 am

Anyone with experience of restoring from Time Machine using iSCSI?

Following the recommendations on SynologyWiki, I'm using the iSCSI Method to conduct my Time Machine backups. Works flawlessly, but now I'm about to change the HDD on my MacBook Pro and being a bit anxious regarding if I will be able to find the backup when I pop in the Mac OS X install disc, since the backup is a virtual one. Since I'm receiving the new HDD today, all support will be immensely appreciated!

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”