Why wont Cloud Station Backup backup my Onedrive folder?

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
storrm
Trainee
Trainee

Why wont Cloud Station Backup backup my Onedrive folder?

Unread post by storrm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I have my Windows 10 PC setup so that all of My Documents, Pictures, Music etc is actually located inside my OneDrive folder. Using the rule of 3 (2 local backups on different media plus 1 offsite backup), I've installed Cloud Station Server on my DS214Play and Cloud Station Backup on my PC. My problem is that I am unable to select my OneDrive folder in the Cloud Station Backup for Windows software. It can see all my other folders, just not my OneDrive folder!

Does anyone have any idea why this is? Its just a normal folder as far as the Windows OS goes, so I dont understand why the Synology software is unable to see it.

TIA
Matt

storrm
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Why wont Cloud Station Backup backup my Onedrive folder?

Unread post by storrm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Well, I am 'gob smacked' to say the least with what I've just discovered. Apparently, Synology dont want you backing up your OneDrive folder!!!! Even though its just another folder on my local hard drive, Cloud Station backup will IGNORE any folder with the ReparsePoint attribute. Some of you may be asking "what the hell is a ReparsePoint?", well, I had to go and look it up as well. Its not exactly obvious and you cant tell by simply right-clicking a folder and selecting Properties. You can't even see it when you do a DIR in a command prompt. To work it out, you end up having to use PowerShell and issuing the command "dir ./onedrive | select Name, Attributes". Then it may surprise you to find that it appears that its only Onedrive that has this attribute, so it makes you wonder, why would Synology not want us being able to back it up? Its not as if I can't just copy and paste it over to the drive. Its just that they've decided to limit the effectiveness of the Cloud Station Backup software to totally ignore a now-core element of Windows 10, which is the built-in OneDrive folder.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty pissed about this because the information wasn't exactly easy to find. Its not as if they make it clear up-front that "hey, don't buy this NAS if you want to backup your OneDrive folder". Its not as if the Onedrive folder isn't important (!!!!). To me, the OneDrive folder is THE most important folder as its intrinsically part of Windows now and is the place where I put ALL of my important work to ensure I have it available to me at all times via the cloud. Its not as if I can just switch it off and use a standard folder which I then backup to my NAS and sync it to OneDrive from DSM. That would negate all of the benefits of having OneDrive as part of my interface and whole right-click integration for sharing and collaborating with others.

If anyone has a solution to this - either using a Synology product or an alternative product (even an alternative NAS because this has really urked me!), then please let me know. I need to do effective backups of my entire working folder structure and they have to be versioned.

TIA and apologies for the rant (!)

Mcklain
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Mcklain » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Just install cloud sync application on youre NAS and it will backup/sync youre one drive to youre NAS.
| DS918+ | DSM 6.1.6 | WD6001FFWX x3 (SHR) |

sincarne
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by sincarne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm

it say in cloud station help you cannot sync reparsepoint. onedrive also not save all files onto computer in new version. it better to do cloud sync on NAS instead

robert@eadies.org.uk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by robert@eadies.org.uk » Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Agreed! Like you I have been brought up to the 3-2-1 system of backups, and use Windows 10 and hence (almost by default) Onedrive.
I have spent DAYS trying to get my Onedrive folder (which contains all my libraries, such as documents, pictures, videos etc) using CloudStation to my Synology NAS in my garage (almost off-site, in the event of a fire in the house).
Thanks for saving me any more trouble on this.
It would be good to hear from a Synology person the reasons for this. It may be some insurmountable technical problem, but as OneDrive is now such an important feature of Windows 10, it would also be good to see in the documentation something plainer (for ordinary humans like me) such as 'CloudStation cannot be used to sync your Onedrive folder', rather than 'cloudstation cannot handle these esoteric file attributes (which cannot be found using the attrib command!).
Oh dear - one of the main reasons for buying my Synology hits a brick wall.
Has anyone pursued the idea of using CloudSync from OneDrive (remote). Does this achieve the same?
Alternatively, might it work (though a lot of reorganising for me) to change the folder structure on my PC to . . . /OneDrive/Libraries/Documents, /OneDrive/Libraries/Pictures, etc, and then ask CloudSync to sync Libraries? Or won't it even look inside OneDrive?
Robert

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”