Time Machine & Synology DS213+

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
leisurehound
I'm New!
I'm New!

Time Machine & Synology DS213+

Unread post by leisurehound » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi

I have had my Synology DS213+ running for several months (years) now with a RAID 1 and have had no issues. However, the Apple support communities are awash in horror stories about corrupt backups when using a RAID system over NAS. It appears that most reports are around backups having to be regenerated from scratch when the sparse bundle corruption occurs, tho I think some report issues when trying to restore from backup after thinking all was ok. I have never had a backup failure (Synology NAS & the MacPro are wired, not wireless) but all this noise makes me concerned the silence of the process may have lulled me into a bliss that will become a nightmare when I need a backup. I do have a quarterly alternative backup direct from the Mac that is in a safe deposit box, but my hourly/daily/etc would be best to readily available.

Does anyone have any information on Time Machine compatibility with Synology NAS+RAID so that I have confidence that what I'm doing is going to work when I most need it?

TIA

RudiLehn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Time Machine & Synology DS213+

Unread post by RudiLehn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 am

I have the same concern about restoring from time machine with Synology NAS. Last night I hat a crash and couldn't see a time machine backup. Thanks god I hat also a Backup with Carbon Copy Cloner. Now I restore for about 20 h my iMac. I think we need a simple tutorial for mounting the Synology time machine backup. There are some good reports. I will now look around and give back my results.

:(

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”