Synology / Apple Time Machine and Cloud Backup

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
beaker83
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology / Apple Time Machine and Cloud Backup

Unread post by beaker83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently using a Synology DS216j to act as a Time Machine backup for my MacBook Pro. I also have the TM volume being sync'ed to the Backblaze B2 Cloud via Cloud Sync. The Cloud Sync is my case is purely for catastrophic recovery... ie, my house burns down with my MBP and Synology in it. Let's hope I never have to use it :)

I have all of the configuration working and has been working fine for over a year now. However, I'm worried that I don't have the best setup for how the Cloud Sync is handling the Time Machine spare bundle. Since the Time Machine backup is actually a collection of 8 MB files in the file system, I'm worried about what happens if I ever have an incomplete set of up-to-date files in the cloud backup and how to handle that. For example, let's say that I update a 4GB file on my MPB. Time Machine will automatically sync that file within the next hour in the background to the Synology pretty quickly. However, with my internet upload speed, it will take a while to upload to sync this update to the cloud. Since in the Time Machine backup, this 4 GB isn't actually a single file, but a bunch of modifications to the 8 MB files, Cloud Sync will begin syncing file-by-file the individual files. Now, let's say in the middle of this upload, my internet dies and my house blows up. I now have a corrupted (if I understand it correctly) off site backup since only half of the updates actually made it.

So, I'm really looking for anyone who has set up syncing their Time Machine backup to a cloud service and what's the best way to handle it. For the Cloud Sync, I don't even care about making sure it's constantly up-to-date -- if I had just a daily sync, that would be fine... but not sure how to get that to play well with Time Machine.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”