Server 2016 backup to DS415play - just started failing

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
gchq
I'm New!
I'm New!

Server 2016 backup to DS415play - just started failing

Postby gchq » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:02 am

Two Server 2016 boxes have been happily backing up to a DS415 for some 12 months...

One started to fail with a 517 error (0x807800C5 - 2155348165)

It creates the shadow copy, backs up the EFI partition, moves on to backing up the C: drive and then fails with The backup operation that started at '‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎18T02:00:47.505464600Z' has failed with following error code '0x807800C5' (There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Now a second server has started with the same game (although this doesn't even back up the EFI partition)

The NAS has 8.76TB free space (servers 0.9TB and 0.32TB)

VSS doesn't show any errors and it backs up to a local USB drive

Renamed WindowsImageBackup. It creates the directory again, but still fails with the same error

After backing up to local USB drives I deleted the contents of the shared folders - same as above.

Anyone come across this before?

Thank you

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”