rSync with encryption fail from QNAP to Synology

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
dproxximo
I'm New!
I'm New!

rSync with encryption fail from QNAP to Synology

Postby dproxximo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:14 am

I'm trying to setup a sync job from a QNAP TS-809 to Synology DS1815+ using "Hybrid Backup Sync" on the QNAP and rsync connection. I have tested three different accounts:

root
Normal: Works
SSH encryption: Permission denied (I think ssh access for root was disabled in DSM 6)

admin
SSH encryption: Failed with message: "Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin"

Local user (sync) with admin, rsync and share privileges
SSH encryption: Failed with message: "Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/sync"

If I setup a sync job from another Synology using rsync the SSH encryption works for admin and sync but not root. Also, setting up all three users with or without encryption works during the test sync from QNAP, but it fails when starting the actual job. Is this a QNAP problem or Synology problem?

If I try to SSH manually to synology nas with admin user I get the same message: "Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory". I can cd to /var/services and if I list directories I can see "homes" but can't go in there, not even as root (sudo su). Is permissions damaged or what is going on?
dproxximo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: rSync with encryption fail from QNAP to Synology

Postby dproxximo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 am

I found a solution and it was very simple.
In Synology control panel under user/advanced: Enable user home service.

Done! Encryption works from QNAP.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”