10TB DAS Drobo backup to Synology NAS

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
FishEyeFun
I'm New!
I'm New!

10TB DAS Drobo backup to Synology NAS

Postby FishEyeFun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 pm

QUESTION

What would be the best/fastest/easiest way to back up the 10 TB of photos (over millions of files) on a Drobo DAS connected to Win 10 Pro Desktop to a Synology NAS?

I've installed Cloud Station Server on my DS1815+ and Cloud Staton Backup on my Win 10 Pro PC that the Drobo DAS is connected to.

With 10 TB of data, the initial backup is going to take days (maybe a week or longer). After about 48 hours it's only about 1.2 TB into the initial transfer. Even with gigabit networking, the transfer speeds seem to be maxing out at 50 or 60 Mbs and hovering around only 20 Mbs.

We will be adding 1 - 5 GB of photos do the Drobo DAS weekly that will need to be backed up.

Is Cloud Station Server and Cloud Station Backup the best way to go about doing this?

See full specs below.

Thanks!

Ben

**HP OMEN (Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro)
**Drobo 5C w/ about 10 TB of data (photos and Adobe Lightroom Catalogs)
**Synology DS1815+ (DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8) w/~20 TB available with dual disc redundancy turned on
**Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router
**TRENDnet TPE-TG160g Switch (Gigabit)

* Drobo 5C DAS plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my HP Omen Win 10 Pro desktop.
* The Desktop is connected to a Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router via Ethernet cable.
* The RT2600ac is connected to a TRENDnet gigabit switch via ethernet cable.
* My Synology DS1815+ is connected to the switch via one ethernet cable.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: 10TB DAS Drobo backup to Synology NAS

Postby Rusty1281 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 am

Active backup package is an agentless software that will allow you an option to backup anything visible on your win10 computer to your NAS. If this is a one time action or a repeating need this is one way to do it apart from Cloud Station server.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”