At my wits end with Cloud Station Backup - bring back DR3

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
jammit
I'm New!
I'm New!

At my wits end with Cloud Station Backup - bring back DR3

Postby jammit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 am

I recently installed a new PC and have been forced to start using Cloud Station Backup instead of Data Replicator (DR3 is no longer available for download)
I have two big problems with this software and hope someone can set me straight:

1) simply cannot get this software to change the destination folder. There is no option button beside the destination folder. Why is this application not working as it should? HELP!

2) Perhaps I fundamentally misunderstand how this software works. I want to do a backup once a week. Cloud Station Backup doesn't seem to work this way but seems to sync continuously. If I get randsomware encryting my files - do I really want the backup to work this way? Once a week was much better.

Am I misunderstanding something - this software seems far to complicated to use :(
eaz
Ace
Ace

Re: At my wits end with Cloud Station Backup - bring back DR3

Postby eaz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Then stop using this 1980ish concept to make backups of the PC. Store all your data direct on the nas.

Then have the nas backup itself on a periodical basis to the cloud or to a USB disk. Welcome to the next century.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
jammit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: At my wits end with Cloud Station Backup - bring back DR3

Postby jammit » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Sorry @EAV
appreciate if you could actually answer either of my 2 questions.
1)I can't actually get Cloud Station Backup working to a configurable destination folder
2) 'm not convinced this form of backup protects against the latest versions of Ransomware.

Many be someone can help here rather than the trolling about being from the last century!

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”