Re-purposing an old server

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Michael Walker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re-purposing an old server

Postby Michael Walker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi.
I've just installed a 716+II for a company. As a result of the general office upgrade, I do now have an old SBS 2003 server machine surplus to requirements. It is quite a well-specced machine and, rather than consign it to the skip, I'd like to use it as a back-up machine (just general file-storage, not another NAS as such) for the new Synology box. I have Hyper Backup installed on the NAS, but I note that it only really seems to like talking to other RSYNC enabled devices. Of course, the old server is not natively RSYNC enabled. So, this is what I'm thinking of doing: Removing SBS 2003 from the computer and replacing it with a Linux distro - which does, I believe, natively support RSYNC. Putting it back on the network and pointing the Hyper Backup at it.

My question is: Anyone see a problem with this approach, or maybe know of a better/simpler way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”