How to copy files from Backup drives to Disk Station

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
buckthorn
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to copy files from Backup drives to Disk Station

Postby buckthorn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 am

We have a DS416Play, and Mac laptops that use Wifi all of the time. Doing Time Machine to the Synology over wifi is clearly unreliable. What is the best way to get Time Machine or other backup files onto the Synology? If we move to using external USB drives for everyday personal backups (say, Seagate Ultra Slims), what is the best way to copy the files from these drives onto the Synology? Would plugging the drives into the Synology's USB port work,and if so, how do you copy the the files?
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: How to copy files from Backup drives to Disk Station

Postby Rusty1281 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 am

You should be able to mount that hfs drive with no problem to you DS. You can then use File Station to transfer anything you want. The problem with TM backups might be that you won't see your Synology TM shared folder via FS so that you can transfer the files that way. You can copy it via SSH as one option tho. Will that work I have no idea. Will those backups be visible and continue to function from your macbooks to your Syno, I don't know but you can try.

On the matter of TM backups via wifi and them not being reliable. I have multiple macbooks and there were no problems with wifi backups to syno. What exact problems to you have with this setup?
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
demogog
Beginner
Beginner

Postby demogog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 am

Rusty1281 wrote:On the matter of TM backups via wifi and them not being reliable. I have multiple macbooks and there were no problems with wifi backups to syno. What exact problems to you have with this setup?

I also have two MacBooks and use WiFi to backup TM. No problems at all. But I think, a lot of people use the modem/router they got from their ISP (at least where I live). And those routers with built-in access point are not the latest and the greatest. If I had to use the one I got from my ISP, I would only achieve WiFi speeds at around 130 Mbit/s. No 802.11AC either. And the built-in antenna is rather small, which means that speed will drop even more, the farther away one is from AP.
Check you wifi connection speed, maybe the router/AP is the problem here?
Home unit: DS216+|| 1x8TB WD Red 8GB RAM
Work unit: DS1511+ 5x6TB WD Red 3GB RAM, DS214play 2x2TB WD Green
Other units: DS1513+ 4x4TB Seagate, DS212j 1x3TB WD Red
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 am

I agree with what you said, just wanted to hear what @buckthorn has to say on the matter.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”