Cloud Station Backup and Outlook .pst file

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
dandukem
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cloud Station Backup and Outlook .pst file

Postby dandukem » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 am

Hello,

I'm using Cloud Station Backup on my Windows 10 PC to backup my data files to my DS216. I use MS Outlook 2010 as my email/calendar client. The Outlook data file (.pst) is one of the files that gets backed up by Cloud Station Backup. The problem that I'm having is that the Outlook .pst file changes quite often. Whenever I get a new email, a calendar reminder, etc., the .pst file is changed so CS Backup saves a new version of it. The .pst file is almost 700mb and I already have almost 40 versions of it on my DS in just a few hours.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to address this issue? I really don't think that I need different versions of it. I would be happy if it would just overwrite the file each time.

Thanks
eaz
Ace
Ace

Re: Cloud Station Backup and Outlook .pst file

Postby eaz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Start using Imap as a mail protocol, your mail will remain on the server. Also much more practical when you are on the move.
Then the .pst backup is not anymore needed.
Only when you move it to a dedicated folder, you may choose that folder to be in a .pst, and you will get a backup.
Or leave everything on the mail server, most mail hosts will allow 2GB/box nowadays.

The other option is to exclude the .pst, and run a hyper backup job every night to backup only the pst.
You might loose one day of mails if you do so.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”