Cloud Station Backup - Fails to back up any folders

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
SteveW25561
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cloud Station Backup - Fails to back up any folders

Postby SteveW25561 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:53 am

I just completed my DSM update to 6.0-7321, and installed Cloud Station Backup (v. 4.0-4203) on my Mac (OSX 10.11.3).

While the older Cloud Station app worked to backup my user folder, I changed to the new Cloud Station Backup v 4.0 app to work with the new DSM 6.0.

On my Mac, any folder I add to the CS Backup app doesn't seem to be accepted: I get an error window saying "Failed to back up the following paths: /Users/myusername" -- this is my home directory. This was working well on DS 5.2 using the older app.

I've tried several different folders but get the same error.

On DMS 6.0's Cloud Station Server, I have my Mac listed in the Client list, and in the Settings panel, it has the "User home" shared folder enabled.

This seems to be an issue on the Mac client side: any suggestions?
guyds
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cloud Station Backup - Fails to back up any folders

Postby guyds » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:33 pm

I never used Cloud Station Backup before, but now that I upgraded DSM to v6.0 I wanted to try it.
My system runs Linux Mint, but unfortunately I'm seeing the same problems as described by SteveW25561.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:57 am

SteveW25561 wrote:I just completed my DSM update to 6.0-7321, and installed Cloud Station Backup (v. 4.0-4203) on my Mac (OSX 10.11.3).

While the older Cloud Station app worked to backup my user folder, I changed to the new Cloud Station Backup v 4.0 app to work with the new DSM 6.0.

On my Mac, any folder I add to the CS Backup app doesn't seem to be accepted: I get an error window saying "Failed to back up the following paths: /Users/myusername" -- this is my home directory. This was working well on DS 5.2 using the older app.

I've tried several different folders but get the same error.

On DMS 6.0's Cloud Station Server, I have my Mac listed in the Client list, and in the Settings panel, it has the "User home" shared folder enabled.

This seems to be an issue on the Mac client side: any suggestions?

Cloud Station Backup is not a replacement for Cloud Station. Cloud Station Drive is the replacement. Basically, CS Backup has less options and is strictly a one-way sync whereas Cloud Station Drive is the new version of Cloud Station and has a lot more options (sync multiple sub-folders to wherever you want on the NAS) with bi-directional syncing.

Have you tried backing up somewhere besides user home? Cloud Station doesn't require the user home service any more so if you're not a fan of this system you don't have to use it.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
wimlem
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby wimlem » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Same issue here but with windows. Using the cloud station backup, with DSM 6.0 and client version 4.0-4203, i'm getting error "failed to backup the following paths".

Alread changed the destination path, but no luck. One folder succeeded but i cannot add others. They all end up with the same error.
aragoneca
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby aragoneca » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:10 pm

I have the same issue, but the difference is that there was noting updated in that time when the problem starts. I checked the DS version is the same, the version of the backup program is the same.
The error is: Failed to backup following paths:

What we can do to fix the problem ???
fuzzy76
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fuzzy76 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Same here :(

Want to backup my entire home folder from my Mac, Synology Cloud Station Backup won't let me.
VyseExhale
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby VyseExhale » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 am

Same here..... can someone from synology please reply ?

Ps.. Im working on windows 10
hallsms
Trainee
Trainee

Postby hallsms » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Has anyone managed to solve this problem? I'm running all my 2008 or higher servers without performing the backups.
ndstate
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ndstate » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I am having the same issues on Ubuntu.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”