active backup for server

The discussion room for the Active Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
euramtek
I'm New!
I'm New!

active backup for server

Unread post by euramtek » Thu May 17, 2018 4:36 pm

I have a Synology DS918+ and first time using this device to backup my file servers on windows 2008 R2 server, few issues Im having:

1- backup takes long time to finish, backing up about 400GB of data and it's taking more than 24 hours, this is done locally using 2GB connectivity by bonding both nics on the synology which should be super fast
2- another small backup show completed size of 10GB but when checking the files that were backed up it showing 500MB

trying to understand if this unit is bad or the software is hidden something

please share any thoughts and thanks for reading my discussion.

synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: active backup for server

Unread post by synology_ukman » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm

2GbE connection to single host is impossible via shares.
Syno showing 226MB/s trunked on their stats so half that to single host.

What MB/s are you showing?

euramtek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: active backup for server

Unread post by euramtek » Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 pm

it showing 40-60MB but that not the issue. the issue is why is taking longer to backup and i dont see any compression option when setting up backups.

does this active backup support multi thread?

any recommendation on open source backup software that I can install and point my servers to backup to synology shares. i have been dealing with this for a week and not getting anywhere

Return to “Active Backup”