Time Machine - Making it Work - Learn from My Suffering

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
majikbear
Trainee
Trainee

Time Machine - Making it Work - Learn from My Suffering

Unread post by majikbear » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 am

Hi all,

I got my Diskstation a couple of days ago and one of my primary purposes for its existence is to backup my Macbook Pro.

Unfortunately it didn't want to do that.

Being a Mac user, I feel that it should be as simple as clicking a button that says "turn on Time Machine backups" but oh no, it couldn't be that simple.

Here are the steps I had to go through.

Part 1 - Create a share

1. FIrst open Control Panel
2. Go to File Share
3. Click the [ Create ] button
4. Name the share something like Time Machine Backup (spaces are okay)
5. Uncheck "Enable Recycle Bin" (you're never going to need to fish your backups out of the trash, since you'll not be accessing the files directly yourself, so this feature would waste space)
6. Check "Encrypt this shared folder" (this makes the Diskstation do the encryption which will save resources on your Mac)
7. Input an encryption key
8. Click the [ OK ] button

Now one would think "great, I have a file share, I can just tell my Mac to use it as my Time Machine disk."

Nope. This is BSD. You can put a pretty UI on it, but it's still BSD. You have to tell it to open the peanut butter before taking the peanut butter out of the jar.

Next you need to create a user to access the share.

Part 2 - Create a user

1. In Control Panel go to User
2. Click [ Create ]
3. Make a user named something like Time Machine (spaces are okay) (only fill in the fields marked with *)
4. Click [ Next ]
5. Make sure the user is in the "users" group and click Next
6. Check the box to give the user Read/Write access to your Time Machine share (or whatever you named it)
7. Click [ Next ]
8. THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT: Set the quota to about 3 times the size of the drive you're going to back up. You must set the quota to something other than "0" or "Unlimited" or Time Machine will keep backing up forever and will eventually fill your entire filesystem.
9. Click [ Next ]
10. Ignore the Application Permissions and click [ Next ]
11. Ignore the Speed Settings and click [ Next ] (setting a speed limit will slow down your backups)
12. Click [ Apply ]

Next you have to change the AFP protocol settings because they are broken by default.

Part 3 -- Fix AFP settings to work with Time Machine

1. In Control Panel go to File Services
2. If "Enable AFP Service" is not checked, check it (it seems to vary between versions whether or not it's on by default)
3. Click [ Advanced Settings ]
4. Check the box "Release resources immediately after disconnect" -- if you do not check this you will get an error from Time Machine of "the volume is already in use" at the end of your backup and Time Machine will stick on "waiting to complete first backup" forever
5. Follow the link to "Enable to Bonjour service discovery at Service Directory"
6. Check the boxes "Enable Bonjour service discovery" and "Enable Bonjour Time Machine broadcast via AFP"
7. Click Apply

Part 4 -- Configure Time Machine on your Mac

1. Go to Time Machine in your menu bar or Preferences
2. Click Select Disk
3. Select the Diskstation share (whatever you named it in part 1)
4. UNCHECK Encrypt Backups (the Diskstation will be doing the encryption)
5. Save your settings.

Time Machine will begin backing up.

Keep your Mac awake while the first backup processes. Each time your Mac goes to sleep Time Machine rolls back to the last chunk it backed up, which makes it take longer to complete the backup.

That should get it done for you. I hope the experience is less miserable for you than it was for me.

Liam77
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Time Machine - Making it Work - Learn from My Suffering

Unread post by Liam77 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi Majikbear,

Thanks a lot for this tutorial!

Im a nes Synology user and been suffering to set up a time machine backup as well (not done yet).

The main issue is that ALL tutorial available (including teh official one from synology) seem to me obsolete when using the last DSM version.
The Mac File Services setting has disapeared and I was stuck.
Here it is for info:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... chine#t1.3

May I ask you where you found all theses settings or you just foudn by yourself (in which I mean, are you sure they'll really work on teh long term ? :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Liam

majikbear
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by majikbear » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Liam77 wrote:Hi Majikbear,

May I ask you where you found all theses settings or you just foudn by yourself (in which I mean, are you sure they'll really work on teh long term ? :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Liam
I found it all through experimentation.

Also another thing to note: It might be useful to first connect to your Diskstation using AFP using its IP address, then select the Time Machine disk by IP address.

Here's an explanation:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 56#p485756

illnarrator
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by illnarrator » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 am

Just wanted to say thank you for this. Every other instruction I found started with creating a user which didn't allow me to select a quota size. After two nights of dead ends this has me up and running. Not sure if it makes a difference but there is one more option in the latest UI that lets you select the TM folder which I did. In any case TM is doing its thing for the first time.

lvschnider
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lvschnider » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:12 am

I got everything set up on the Disk Station but every time I try to do the initial backup, it gets about 2 or 3 gb in and then stops. It doesn't give an error or anything. It just stops, so I try to restart and it does the exact same thing over and over. I have unmounted the drive and remounted it. I have restarted both devices. Does anyone else have any ideas?

ithos
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ithos » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:47 am

lvschnider wrote:I got everything set up on the Disk Station but every time I try to do the initial backup, it gets about 2 or 3 gb in and then stops. It doesn't give an error or anything. It just stops, so I try to restart and it does the exact same thing over and over. I have unmounted the drive and remounted it. I have restarted both devices. Does anyone else have any ideas?
I just purchased my first DS216+II to use for Time Machine backups. I was having similar problems described above. The backup would get several Gb into the process, and then just quit. No error message. The Preference Pane simply said "waiting for first backup".

It seems that the issue was with the Syno going to sleep during the process. Perhaps it got bored. I disabled sleep/hybernation and things seem to be working now. I am currently 411GB into a 2TB first backup. 22 hours remaining!

-Robbie-
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by -Robbie- » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 am

I had the same Time Machine issue as above but in my case it turned out to be an intermittent Bonjour issue. Finding the cause was a headache but finally traced to IGMP Snooping option becoming enabled on my network switch following a recent firmware update. Deselecting that option allowed the Bonjour multicast to do its thing and allowed the Time Machine backup to proceed normally. It also added some much needed stability to the NAS connection on the Finder sidebar - it is now rock-solid. It also happened to fix the intermittent printing to my network printer from iOS devices.

My other teasing issues was that the Sierra OSX machines were happy with SMB3 alone (with AFP being slowly depreciated) but that my single El Capitan client needed AFP fully enabled on the NAS for Time Machine to find it automatically.

SMB (slow) speed was fixed by permanently turning off SMB signing through OS X Terminal (doubling the max transfer speed to wire speed) and for the first large backup jobs I disabled the low task priority normally given to Time Machine. What was once billed as 23 hours took around 30 minutes.

I've not needed the 'release resources immediately after disconnect' option yet, but I will keep the tip in mind if I should suffer the 'volume in use' issue.

The Synology guide to Time Machine could do with a complete refresh to reflect the latest  OS X and DSM standards.

:idea:
Synology DS1517+ | 16GB | SHR/Btrfs | 2-port ALB | 2x3TB + 2x4TB WD Red | 120GB SSD Cache | No PCIe
Supported by: EdgeRouter 8 | EdgeSwitch 24 |

picklebreath
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by picklebreath » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:52 am

I have a ds216se.
I have run it using TM with Snow Leopard, El Capitan,Sierra and now High Sierra Beta.

Setting up TM was as easy as selecting it in the DS setup.
The only time I had an issue it was a network issue ( long file copy slow).

Sorry to hear all these troubles

majikbear
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by majikbear » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:44 am

lvschnider wrote:I got everything set up on the Disk Station but every time I try to do the initial backup, it gets about 2 or 3 gb in and then stops. It doesn't give an error or anything. It just stops, so I try to restart and it does the exact same thing over and over. I have unmounted the drive and remounted it. I have restarted both devices. Does anyone else have any ideas?
From my original post:

4. Check the box "Release resources immediately after disconnect" -- if you do not check this you will get an error from Time Machine of "the volume is already in use" at the end of your backup and Time Machine will stick on "waiting to complete first backup" forever

webtaurus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by webtaurus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm

I followed the steps you describe and had a working Time Machine but after an update to DSM Time Machine would come back with an error "Backup Disk not available".

After a lot of trying/searching I found out that when using an encrypted Share for Time Machine you need to mount the volume again after a restart of the Synology.
Probably your steps assume that one clicks automatically remount at startup, which I did not choose. Sofar I have not been able to find that setting on an existing encrypted Share, so maybe its only available at the creation stage.

Maybe this helps some else that comes across the same problem. ( and learn from my suffering :-) )

majikbear
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by majikbear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 pm

webtaurus wrote:I found out that when using an encrypted Share for Time Machine you need to mount the volume again after a restart of the Synology.
Yes it's been like that for quite some time -- either that or you need to store your encryption key in DSM's "keyring" which defeats the purpose of having encryption to begin with.

I have to have my NAS email me every time it does a restart so I can log in and manually type the password for every encrypted share.

I don't know why they couldn't offer the option to just integrate the folder encryption into the OS and use single sign-on like they do at the filesystem level.

jramskov
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by jramskov » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm

I have just bought a 918+, replacing my old DS1010+ and I've gone with a slightly different setup.

File share configuration:
# I use BTRFS instead of EXT4 as filesystem and that makes it possible to set quotas on fileshares and I'm using that instead.
# I have enabled "advanced data integrity protection".
# I have hidden the share - no reason to publish it.
# Encryption disabled on the NAS, prefer to let MacOS handle it.

User configuration:
# Standard user with a strong, random password.
# Granted read/write access to Time machine file share.

File services
# I don't have AFP enabled, only SMB.
# Enabled Bonjour Service Discovery and Bonjour Time Machine broadcast via SMB.

I started the first backup less than an hour ago and it's gone through 45GB out of 247GB so far. Estimated to be finish in about 4 hours.

DCProud
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by DCProud » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am

I'm very grateful for this information. I shared it on the Apple forum as well because their instructions are only valid once you've taken these steps to properly configure the share for Time Machine.

pkh540
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pkh540 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:00 am

Received my 918+ yesterday and want to set up Time Machine. This is great help thank you!

Total noob question but I have 3 Macs... Do I copy the latest sparse image for the three Macs to the Time Machine folder or do I have to start new ones? Also do I have to set-up a new user for each of my Mac's? Thanks!

robocub
Student
Student

Unread post by robocub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Unfortunately yes I think you have to start a new sparse image. You can try copying the old sparse images to your Synology Time Machine shared folder and when you tell your Mac where to backup to see if it will pickup the old image. I doubtful though.

TM will create a new sparse image automatically when it starts the backup if it doesnt play nicely with the old image. You can copy the old sparse images to your TimeMachine shared folder as you should be able to still access those backups by Option-selecting Time Machine menu item on your Mac and selecting Browse other backup disks.

The second question yes it does help to create a Synology user for each Mac being backed up. Add those users or create a "backup group" and give Read/Write share permissions to the Time Machine shared folder on Synology. When you start a TM machine from each Mac you will be asked to login with each respective user. Hope that helps.

pkh540 wrote:Received my 918+ yesterday and want to set up Time Machine. This is great help thank you!
Total noob question but I have 3 Macs... Do I copy the latest sparse image for the three Macs to the Time Machine folder or do I have to start new ones? Also do I have to set-up a new user for each of my Mac's? Thanks!
DS716+
Bay 1 (WD Red 6TB - SHR volume 1, Btrfs)
Bay 2 (WD Red 6TB - SHR volume 2, Btrfs)

Forget Transcoding headaches. Infuse media player for AppleTV plays everything direct from NAS.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”