NEW to world of NAS..help!!!

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
gavcav
I'm New!
I'm New!

NEW to world of NAS..help!!!

Postby gavcav » Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm

hi, just got my first NAS and trying to set it up correctly but i feel like i'm doing it blind..i've read tons of stuff on the web and to be honest it's scared the hell out of me! i'm probably allowing the new terminology to get to me? i just thought it would be a lot more straight forward than it seems to me at present.

i have the DS213+ with 2 x WD green 2TB HD's, my computer is a MAC. all i want to do is the safest, most straight forward back up of all my files on my MAC to the DS213 and further down the line, connect 4 x home security IP cameras.

i think i've got it backing up correctly in SHR mode? but it's taking a hell of a long time..it's been running all night and still has 300,000 files to process!
also, my quick connect ID doesn't seem to be working on my other devices (ipad air/iphone 6)..i have to use the IP. and in 'cloud server' there is no 'priviliges' showing on the left hand table?..all the vids and write ups show the cloud server desktop with this showing in the left hand table?

if anyone can help a numpty like me with the basic setup and config so i can check i've not missed anything obvious, i'd be so grateful.

here's hoping
WST16
Novice
Novice

Re: NEW to world of NAS..help!!!

Postby WST16 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

Hi,

I used a book to help me setup my Synology DS quickly. If you don't mind paying a small amount, it will help. I found some sections to be useful and was a quick introduction to the Synology world.

Synology NAS Setup Guide for Home & Small Business by Nicholas Rushton
https://itun.es/us/2HkRbb.l
PaulS
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: NEW to world of NAS..help!!!

Postby PaulS » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I did not see a mention of Time Machine for the Mac backup. Is that what you are using?

WRT the Quick Connect issue, intermittent higher-lever network disruptions having nothing to do with your system can thwart DNS substitutes like Quick Connect. That's one reason why I pay DynDNS an annual domain name subscription. Ofttimes when it's free, you get what you pay for.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”